C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Flowmaster Mufflers a simple Bolt-On??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 11:26 AM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are Flowmaster Mufflers a simple Bolt-On??

After upgrading my intake, cam and headers, I think it’s time to upgrade the old stock mufflers. I have hooker headers, 2.25 pipes, true dual, no cat or smog, leading to stock mufflers.

I am thinking of putting 40 series. My question is whether these are simple bolt-on parts or will I have to go to a muffler shop?

Also, if anyone has pics of what the setup looks like after installed on C3, please post here.

Thanks in advance.
:cheers:
Old 08-20-2003, 12:25 PM
69Rat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Are Flowmaster Mufflers a simple Bolt-On?? (desi)

I just installed a set of Flowmaster 40's on my '69 BBC vert, after a backfire incident blew my drivers muffler in half!
The FM's are not exactly a "bolt on" upgrade, (unless you like pipe clamps everywhere!), but a simple one. I already had 2.5" pipes, so getting the 2.5" FM's was an easy fit. The problem is, they are shorter then stock mufflers, so you need an extra piece of pipe to get them to fit to the tail-pipe correctly. Not a problem if you have a mig welder.. or if you want you can braze them on with a torch and braze rod.
I love the sound, but I'd recommend and X-pipe.. at idle in a drive through.. EVERYONE in McD's will be looking at you!!! :lolg:
Old 08-20-2003, 12:36 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Are Flowmaster Mufflers a simple Bolt-On?? (69Rat)

I agree. They are an easy upgrade but not exactly bolt on. Mine were put on with an entirely new exhaust system since I was changing pipe size. Mine kind of hang down in plain sight but I've seen some tucked up.

Old 08-20-2003, 12:46 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Are Flowmaster Mufflers a simple Bolt-On?? (Cookwithvette)

I also have a flowmaster question. I want to run 2.5" pipes into original 40 series but don't know If i should get center inlet/outlet, offset inlet/outlet, or offset inlet center outlet. I going to look for the mufflers at Carlisle and probably have an exhaust shop bend to pipes for me.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 08-20-2003, 12:49 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Are Flowmaster Mufflers a simple Bolt-On?? (Cookwithvette)

Hmmm, so I need to take them in. I personally like the tucked away look. Just want to see tailpipe coming out with 2" chrome tips...

Maybe someone else has more pics??
Old 08-20-2003, 12:53 PM
69Rat
Racer

Default Re: Are Flowmaster Mufflers a simple Bolt-On?? (L-82kid)

I just installed the FM 40's this past weekend... mine are offset in / center out.... but you could easily do offset in/out as well. Mine tuck neatly under the car in the original location and exit via the stock holes. You have to fiddle with the hangers to keep 2.5" from hitting either the underside or the exit holes.. but it works fine. I'll try to take a couple pics when I get home.
:thumbs:
Old 08-20-2003, 12:56 PM
69Rat
Racer

Default Re: Are Flowmaster Mufflers a simple Bolt-On?? (desi)

Don't use smaller tips then the mufflers... it kind of defeats the purpose of a 2.25/2.5" exhaust..... I got a set of 2.5" stainless tips... they slipped right on the round downs out of the mufflers.... looks factory freash... welll... a little bigger.. and LOUDER!!! :reddevil
Old 08-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Fasteighty
Pro

Default Re: Are Flowmaster Mufflers a simple Bolt-On?? (69Rat)

I installed FM 40's (offset in/out) and didn't have any real problems. I had them clamped up at first and then had the whole system welded. You can see in my sig pic how the drivers side hung down a little but after they were welded, they tucked up underneath nicely.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:29 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Are Flowmaster Mufflers a simple Bolt-On?? (Fasteighty)

I installed FM 40's (offset in/out) and didn't have any real problems. I had them clamped up at first and then had the whole system welded. You can see in my sig pic how the drivers side hung down a little but after they were welded, they tucked up underneath nicely.
Fasteighty, I'm thinking of Flowmasters for my '82 (gotta let that rip-snortin' Cross-Fire breath!!!!! :crazy: ), but I'm also adding headers and the Mid-America 2.5" stainless-steel kit, too. What pipes did you run 'TO' the FM40s???
Old 08-20-2003, 02:01 PM
Fasteighty
Pro

Default Re: Are Flowmaster Mufflers a simple Bolt-On?? (Glensgages)

Fasteighty, I'm thinking of Flowmasters for my '82 (gotta let that rip-snortin' Cross-Fire breath!!!!! :crazy: ), but I'm also adding headers and the Mid-America 2.5" stainless-steel kit, too. What pipes did you run 'TO' the FM40s???
The Mid-America 2.5" kit (not SS) that I purchased from a forum member (Xracer)
Old 08-20-2003, 03:56 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My flowmasters were three chamber, which I think is series 50 ?

Check out the pics, they tuck in there snuggly:

Old 08-20-2003, 08:58 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

The Mid-America 2.5" kit (not SS) that I purchased from a forum member
Fasteighty, thanks!!! :thumbs: Can you give me any input as to whether I should get the M-A kit or not (good points/bad points, etc.) Is the M-A installation difficult, quality of the kit, etc. Additionally, what the chance of connecting the M-A pipes to headers; I know they're built to hit the OEM manifolds..... :confused:
Old 08-21-2003, 09:05 AM
Fasteighty
Pro

Can you give me any input as to whether I should get the M-A kit or not (good points/bad points, etc.) Is the M-A installation difficult, quality of the kit, etc. Additionally, what the chance of connecting the M-A pipes to headers; I know they're built to hit the OEM manifolds..... :confused:
What I got from Xracer was a great kit. It took me all of about an hour to install it by myself, and it fits pretty good with only a few minor adjustments here and there. Like I said, I had it clamped together until I had a chance to get it welded. I can't really complain about it at all. It was simple to install, and the quality was pretty good. I don't know about how it will connect to headers since I still have the OEM manifolds but I plan on getting headers so I will eventually find out. I'm sure there's gonna have to be some additional cutting and welding. Hope this helps! :thumbs:
Old 08-21-2003, 10:45 AM
Master Ho
Racer

I have the MAD 2.5" true duals kit on my '81 and the headpipes were welded to the OEM downpipes. You can measure(2x) then cut the MAD headpipes to fit your header collectors, but don't forget to have flanges welded to the ends of the MAD headpipes, first. I have Dynamax SuperTurbos out back...

Get notified of new replies

To Are Flowmaster Mufflers a simple Bolt-On??

Quick Reply: Are Flowmaster Mufflers a simple Bolt-On??