C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! '74 won't go out of reverse!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 11:01 AM
MF64VETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! '74 won't go out of reverse!

I just went and got gas and took the car up and down the highway with no problems at all. I brought it home and left it in front of the house. About 10 minutes later I went out to take it for another ride and I wouldn't go out of reverse. The car is on an incline and when I press the clutch in it won't roll. What the heck is goin on? Can you guys help me out?
Old 08-20-2003, 11:33 AM
vettemack
Racer

Default Re: HELP!!!! '74 won't go out of reverse! (MF64VETTE)

My first thought would be the clutch is not releasing. Same thing happened to me years ago. The clutch shaft ball stud broke off at the engine block. Car was stuck in gear since it was on an incline. Had to have it towed which cost more than the part. Have you wife or friend depress the clutch while looking at the linkage under the hood.

Good luck,
Old 08-20-2003, 01:54 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: HELP!!!! '74 won't go out of reverse! (vettemack)

I've had this symptom a few times. It is due to my badly adjusted (fixing tonight) shifter adjustment. What was happening to me was that 2'nd and Reverse were both engaged. This left the shifter stuck in the reverse position and the tranny locked up so the gears could not turn.

The easiest way to check/fix this is to jack up the driver's side of the car and make sure or move the 1-2 and 3-4 shift levers (on the tranny) to the middle position and ensure the reverse is in the forward position (I think). This should put your shifter in the neutral position.

[Modified by BeaterShark, 12:55 PM 8/20/2003]
Old 08-20-2003, 01:59 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: HELP!!!! '74 won't go out of reverse! (BeaterShark)

I've had this symptom a few times. It is due to my badly adjusted (fixing tonight) shifter adjustment. What was happening to me was that 2'nd and Reverse were both engaged. This left the shifter stuck in the reverse position and the tranny locked up so the gears could not turn.

The easiest way to check/fix this is to jack up the driver's side of the car and make sure or move the 1-2 and 3-4 shift levers (on the tranny) to the middle position and ensure the reverse is in the forward position (I think). This should put your shifter in the neutral position.

[Modified by BeaterShark, 12:55 PM 8/20/2003]
:iagree: I had mine stick in gear from one of the tranny shifter lever bolst coming loose and the lever coming off the seats. I too reached under and set all the levers to the neutral postion. Might be hard to do on an incline though.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:05 PM
One Bad 74
Intermediate

Default Re: HELP!!!! '74 won't go out of reverse! (BeaterShark)

BeaterShark is right on.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!!! '74 won't go out of reverse!

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! '74 won't go out of reverse!