C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

project 1981 Corvette w/383 stroker... what's a fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 10:48 AM
k_belknap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default project 1981 Corvette w/383 stroker... what's a fair price?

My sub-par mechanicing is forcing me to sell my '81 project car. I need to know how much I should ask for it. It needs paint, the front and back bumpers are removed. Hood is removed.

Interior
Completely apart (including dash)
All plastic parts have been freshly dyed
Have new dash pad, center gauge circuit bezel and printed board
new center console cover (where window switches mount
new shift boot
Complete light bulb kit (for interior and exterior)
Seats are original, but in good shape
Have new carpet and center console side panels
Have new door panels and door handles
Steering wheel is original and like-new

Exterior
Paint needed
No body damage
T-tops in great shape
Needs new tires

Steering/Suspension
new Vette Brakes complete poly f.end rebuild kit (installed)
new front shocks and VB 460 pound springs
new VB power steering cylinder, pump and hoses

Brakes
New front brake calipers, pads and stainless steel lines
New high-dollar chrome master cylinder

Transmission
New filter
new poly trans mount
Shift kit

Engine *
Just rebuilt 383 stroker (has not been started since rebuild)
engine bored .060 over
new chrome poly engine mounts
new water pump
Moroso stud girdles
TRW forged pistons
new Healight vacuum hose kit
new exhaust from cat back
new DynoMax mufflers
Griffin aluminum high-flow radiator (w/about 50 miles on int)

*I have the engine mounted; but, do not have it running. I cannot figure out the vacuum lines or the timing. It currently does not have emissions installed; but, I have ALL emissions equipment.

Any suggestions for an asking price would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-20-2003, 11:37 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: project 1981 Corvette w/383 stroker... what's a fair price? (k_belknap)

Not sure but your decision will determine whether I take a road trip to Fort Worth to pickup an 81 project. :thumbs:
Old 08-20-2003, 12:13 PM
Hobbes Blk '80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: project 1981 Corvette w/383 stroker... what's a fair price? (LAvetteman)

errr...you are going to lose money unfortunately :cry

You did not mention how bad paint was needed, and what kind of T-tops or rims your car has.

It has LOTS of work done to it... And probably just needs a few more K thrown at it to get her roadworthy again. The paint will be a large deduction...geeee....

I paid $10,000 CDN for my car, its Black and Stock. Paint is brand new, motor is stock and not really needing rebuild, needs replacement :smash: :smash:

I got a really good deal on mine though, because my dad knew the chap.

I would think that your car should be worth $7500 American?? I dont know... I know its all apart, but a 383 Vette w/all VB suspension....it is really hard to tell without seeing the car. Sounds like someone is going to get a Great deal though.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:32 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: project 1981 Corvette w/383 stroker... what's a fair price? (Hobbes Blk '80)

E-mail SuprJames@aol.com when you decide on a price. :D

[Modified by SuprJames, 11:33 AM 8/20/2003]
Old 08-20-2003, 03:12 PM
k_belknap
Instructor

Default Re: project 1981 Corvette w/383 stroker... what's a fair price? (Hobbes Blk '80)

The wheels are stock and in good shape. Paint is ok... but I've sanded on the hood and bumpers. I wanted to paint it black.. thus, the reason for the sanding. I have $1000 worth of black paint supplies that will go with the car. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Please feel free to email me any offers at k_belknap@hotmail.com

I may or may not go really low on the price. My 2nd little darling is due November 2nd... so I need some money for the hospital bill. :nopity
Old 08-21-2003, 05:01 PM
k_belknap
Instructor

Default Re: project 1981 Corvette w/383 stroker... what's a fair price? (k_belknap)

Ok, I've had several people tell me the car is 'probably' worth @ $7500. So, I'll offer it, minus the paint supplies, for $6000. W/paint supplies $6500. Heck, for another $2500, I'll even throw in my project '68 Camaro RS CLone. Some pictures of it here...

http://webpages.charter.net/kevinbel...%20cam%201.jpghttp://webpages.charter.net/kevinbel...%20cam%202.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/kevinbel...%20cam%203.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/kevinbel...%20cam%204.jpg

The Camaro is not running right now, but it will run. It smokes a very little bit. Has a 454 engine. NThe interior is stripped. Needs floor boards and front right fender/fender well. Tires and wheels need replacing. Will consider parting w/replacement Centerline/Goodyear combo I have in my garage for a little extra.

Anyone interested, email me at k_belknap@hotmail.com

[Modified by k_belknap, 10:02 PM 8/21/2003]
Old 08-24-2003, 06:21 PM
k_belknap
Instructor

One last question... if I have already put the engine in the car; but, can't figure out the vacuum lines or timing... how much would you pay for a shop to finish up the work? The work includes installing the exhaust system, hooking up the vacuum lines and computer, setting the timing, and connecting the driveshaft to the tranny. Oh, and the front of the engine needs finishing (a/c compressor, alternator, belts hooked up). Any kind of ballpark figure??

I have gotten twice as many emails about the Camaro than for the Vette. I guess I'll lower the vette price to $5500. For those that have asked, I'll sell the Camaro for $2500 as it sits... or $4000 with the new parts I have for it. Those are listed here...
http://webpages.charter.net/kevinbel...amaroparts.htm

If interested, email me at k_belknap@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To project 1981 Corvette w/383 stroker... what's a fair price?

Quick Reply: project 1981 Corvette w/383 stroker... what's a fair price?