C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost for a front end rebuild

Old 08-20-2003, 10:13 AM
RLaFarge
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Cost for a front end rebuild

I got the Van Steel front end rebuild kit for my 79. I was told $250 to install it then another $100 for alignment. Does this sound about right. There is no way I can do this work myself as I live in an apt, so I have to pay someone to do it. :confused:
Old 08-20-2003, 11:35 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Cost for a front end rebuild (RLaFarge)

That's probably about right for the labor to do a straight R&R of the bushings, balljoints, and tie rod ends. The problem you'll face is that the new parts are going to be installed right back on the dirty original a-arms and frame. To pay for the labor to restore and refinish the frame, springs, a-arms, etc will be quite a bit more $$$. Depends on how much you want to restore the car "while you're in there"

Shannon
Old 08-20-2003, 11:48 AM
vettemack
Racer

The $100 for alignment seems really high. I rebuilt both my 69 & 79 and the cost to align was the same price as a regular front end alignment, around $49.00. The $250 seems like a fair price to install the new bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends. Beware of the Bubba's out there which are going to beat and chisel out the upper and lower control arm bushings. They need to be pressed out an in. Unless you have the right fixture, when pressing them out or in, it will bend the control arms in.

Good luck,
Old 08-20-2003, 05:23 PM
TexasShark
Advanced

Default Re: Cost for a front end rebuild (vettemack)

:iagree:
Old 08-20-2003, 07:25 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That sounds like a fair price for the installation, but I think you can do better on the alignment. I am in the process of rebuilding my front end right now. I have one side complete. New upper and lower ball joints, new tie rod ends, new coil springs and new control arm bushings. its a lot of work so your price quote sounds fair. I also replaced the sway bar end links and bushings. As stated before you should have your control arms cleaned while they are out. Good luch. :thumbs:
Old 08-23-2003, 08:06 PM
1971corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts

torch the bushings out
Old 08-24-2003, 12:12 AM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

A hundred dollars for a 4 wheel alignment is about average for Northern Calif. I doubt you guys are getting a 4 wheel alignment for $49.

Get notified of new replies

To Cost for a front end rebuild

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cost for a front end rebuild