C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching Hoods on a '72?

Old 08-20-2003, 09:53 AM
FastET
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching Hoods on a '72?

This is for 68-72 owners. I was wondering if anyone here has replaced their stock hood with a later model "long" hood that allows for removal of the wiper door?

Before you get mad at me, I have two reasons for doing this. One, the guy I bought my vette from replaced the stock carb with a new holly that required an adapter plate. The increase in height forced him to put a 1" wide 5" diameter air cleaner on to be able to fit it under the hood. I think this thing looks horrible, plus I think that it restricts the air flow a lot. With the "long" hood, I know I will have more clearance, due to the cowl style of the hood, and will be able to fit a larger air cleaner under there.

Second, that wiper door is kind of a pain in the butt. I know this might be blasphemy around here, but there is a reason they quit making them after ’72.

What I want to know is, how hard is it to make the switch. Do the latches and releases stay in the same spot or do they have to be moved? Also if you have other suggestions that would solve my clearance problem I would be happy to listen. I would love to avoid buying a hood and having to repaint it. I guess I could go with a big block hood, but I figure if I’m going thru the process of replacing hoods I might as well get rid of that wiper door while I’m at it.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:20 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Switching Hoods on a '72? (FastET)

I know Eckler's sells a "long style" L88 type hood for exactly this kind of application. I don't know what's involved in the swap, but I'm sure someone here has done this.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:30 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 469 Likes on 278 Posts

One problem in using a stock later hood is that the hood and fenders will not match up at the rear. The 68-72 fender has a molding where the fender meets the windshield. The 73 and later cars have a gap at the back for the wiper operation and the fender is molded to blend into that gap. So there would be a fit problem in using a stock hood. But there are after market long hoods for the 68-72 which, I assume, are molded to match the rear fender shape.

tom...
Old 08-20-2003, 11:21 AM
Let 'er eat!
Pro

I would go with the big block hood and keep the wiper door. If the wiper door is working correctly it's cool and something different about your car. :thumbs:
Old 08-20-2003, 11:24 AM
Ki m Le
Burning Brakes

I put a L88 long hood on my 68 few years ago. As I recall, all the hardware fitted fine. As Tom73 mentioned, the hood won't match up at both rear corners, but some modification will make it work.

Old 08-20-2003, 02:03 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

I think the '73-'75 (or is it '76??) hoods are the most overlooked hood upgrades for the '68-'72 cars. It gives you the cold air of cowl induction plut more hood clearance than the big block hood, well at least the same.
Also, you can get a used hood for $100s less than an aftermarket one since there are quite a few out there.

I started to look into this as an option for me, but then I decided to bond in a scoop instead. I think the '73-'75 hoods have the same mounting hardware/locations, but I'd find a '73-'75 car to verify this.

If it were me, I'd cut the end off of the hood and clean it up retaining the wiper door, but leaving the hood alone and eliminating the wiper door should work if you can live with the molding differences as previously mentioned.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:24 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Switching Hoods on a '72? (Let 'er eat!)

I would go with the big block hood and keep the wiper door. If the wiper door is working correctly it's cool and something different about your car. :thumbs:
:iagree:
Old 08-20-2003, 05:53 PM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Switching Hoods on a '72? (yellow 72)

I've put the long hood on my 69' and it looks awesome (got it from Lotahp). Yes you do have to remove the stainless trim from the fender up near the windshield (mine was just glued on), but man is it worth it!!! So many people have said the car looks way more aggressive with the new hood. I'm willing to bet that you'll be very happy if you go that route.

Get notified of new replies

To Switching Hoods on a '72?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Switching Hoods on a '72?