C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interior dye

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 02:08 AM
SharkBit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default interior dye

guys, i have some plastic interior pieces that i plan on dying.

those who have completed this process what types of material did you use, and what kind of prep work did you do?

also, how does the dye hold up? is it pretty strong?

thanks
Old 08-20-2003, 02:35 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: interior dye (SharkBit)

I used the SEM brand vinyl paint and the Plastikote type vinyl paint. They both hold up just as well. I used Zylol/Zylene solvent to final clean the parts with a quick wipe. (too much can remove the texturing). For very dirty parts, I used dawn dish soap first and then Zylol solvent as a final wipe.

No primer and the dye (paint) holds up pretty well. You really cant scratch it with your fingernails and you would almost need a screwdriver to make a mark on it. It's been 2 seasons now it still looks like new and is holding up great.

For the seats though I used a true dye called Molecubond that penetrates the vinyl so there is not wear that would occur if you used the paint.

Im really happy with the results and Im usually pretty obsessed when it comes to the work I do on the vette.

Brent.....
Old 08-20-2003, 09:06 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Default Re: interior dye (MN-Brent)

I use Corvette America interior dye. I primer all of my parts with there interior dye primer and then use there dye. The color matches good and the parts look great.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:56 AM
SharkBit
Racer

Default Re: interior dye (Corvette ED)

where did you get the plastikote?

i seen some at walmart called duracolor i believe? its going to be black so matching really wont be that hard. the dash is all i will have to dye, the rest will have to be replaced.

thanks guys
Old 08-21-2003, 09:02 AM
76Stinger
Burning Brakes

Default Re: interior dye (SharkBit)

I redid most of my interior using the SEM products. The only thing I did not like was the flat / dull appearance. Granted, I used a Light Smoke Gray but still would like to see some gloss. I have since learned that if you want the gloss, there are other products that you use after the color treatment.

Before & After of seats and dash pieces after paint

STW :seeya
Robert
76Stinger
Old 08-21-2003, 09:25 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Default Re: interior dye (76Stinger)

I just completed a complete interior re-dye on my 1977. I ordered the spray can from willcox and they were the Corvette America brand. The final results were super. I completly removed every part from the interior and re-dyed all panels, re-placed carpet, and installed new seat covers and foam. This was the second C-3 I have done. What worked best for me was laying everything out in the driveway and doing a through cleaning with soap and water using a soft bristel brush. I wiped dry and then let air dry for a couple of days. Once I started painting I kelp it to a few panels at a time. Onec they were dry I rubbed them down with a soft cotton cloth to remove any rough dye areas. My interior looks factory fresh. It took 13 cans to do the job (keep in mind I dyed every colored panel in the car). :cool:
Old 08-28-2003, 08:37 PM
SharkBit
Racer

Default Re: interior dye (Mr D.)

thanks for the info guys!

Get notified of new replies

To interior dye

Quick Reply: interior dye