C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What not to do with Classic Car insurers....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 09:20 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default What not to do with Classic Car insurers....

To make it simple.... don't be honest and tell them that you are hopping the hell out of your vette and that you are going to put it on the dragstrip.

Where's that wall of stupidity? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

They didn't drop my insurance on the '74(yet... not due to renew for 2 months), but I contacted them about insuring my '71 and they want a signed statement that I will not do the same thing with it. :skep:

They would ask such a question to a trustworthy person like me when I checked off *NO* for drag racing in it? :lol:

Well... I sent them back the signed statement and a cover letter that said hold off insuring the vette until October 1 as I have insurance to cover it until then... of which I do.

In the meantime......

Any of you C-3'ers in the Houston area want to hit HRP this Sunday? I want to see what a '71 454 does in the 1/4 and get a good *sig* pic before I pick up the classic car insurance. I plan on being there and will have my digital camera if anyone else wants to get a good *sig* pic too. Could be alot of fun. Contact me if you are interested and we will meet somewhere and go out there as a group. I've got a racing helmet(medium) if anyone thinks they will run in the 13's or lower.

Cheers! :cheers:
Old 08-19-2003, 09:29 PM
amcom6
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: What not to do with Classic Car insurers.... (bgrice)

I would love to go but I just moved from Santa Fe, Tx. to Alabama a few months ago. HRP is a great track. I just got into the 12's in my 72 the last time I was there. So far all I have found here is an 1/8 mile.
Have Fun! :party:
Old 08-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: What not to do with Classic Car insurers.... (amcom6)

Yeah, that's a nice '71. Please post your drag strip results. I'm curious too.

How do you like the M-22?

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 9:57 PM 8/19/2003]
Old 08-19-2003, 10:05 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

That's why I am retiring from drag racing! :rolleyes: ... and changing my username! :eek: I very delicately asked that question of a prospective insurer, ie I asked about these once a year corvette-only classic car day at the drags type thing..... what if I contemplated taking my corvette to such an event? They replied such contemplation would disqualify me from their insurance. I also got a renewal from my existing policy which has a very specific clause, "no racing, no timed events, not by yourself, not against someone else, even if you call it 'testing' " I can even live with the knowledge that my insurance does not cover me while I am at the dragstrip. But what I would like to avoid is having my policy cancelled because at some time I was at the dragstrip. :( MJ
Old 08-19-2003, 10:18 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: (MNJack)

Marc,

I agree with you. The day that I have to insure these 2 vettes with State Farm one of them goes and the other one will just have to take the chance that nothing hits me on the weekends as I refuse to pay that kind of ransom money for a car that may get 1000 miles a year. Everyone that goes to the dragstrip knows they are not insured(even as a spectator) as things do happen. I'm guessing the Classic Car insurers might be backing up a bit.

Or maybe following these forums?

From here on out I am known as "The Arizona Kid". That should at least throw them off a couple of states. :D

[Modified by bgrice, 9:19 PM 8/19/2003]
Old 08-19-2003, 10:19 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: (bgrice)

Here is my post on the topic... :(
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=617684

Old 08-19-2003, 10:38 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: What not to do with Classic Car insurers.... (1970 Stingray)

Yeah, that's a nice '71. Please post your drag strip results. I'm curious too.

How do you like the M-22?
Len,

I really don't know what to think of the M-22 tranny as of yet. I guess that's why I want to put it(and the 454) on the drag strip just to see what a stock 365HP vette will do. The material I have read says the M-22 was more a road racing tranny designed for constant shifting with gears designed to take the abuse. I have to admit that this car does seem to have a gearing that is not for the strip, but it does seem to pull hard so it should be interesting. I think you are going big block aren't you? What tranny are you putting behind it?
Old 08-20-2003, 08:50 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Len,
I really don't know what to think of the M-22 tranny as of yet. I guess that's why I want to put it(and the 454) on the drag strip just to see what a stock 365HP vette will do. The material I have read says the M-22 was more a road racing tranny designed for constant shifting with gears designed to take the abuse. I have to admit that this car does seem to have a gearing that is not for the strip, but it does seem to pull hard so it should be interesting. I think you are going big block aren't you? What tranny are you putting behind it?
Yes, I've been working on this 454 for 18 months now. :lol: Originally, I was planning on using the M20 that's in the Vette now. But I bought an M-22 from redvetrcer earlier this year. It's been rebuilt but never used.

And this all started out as a "budget rebuild". :rofl: Things get out of hand rapidly. :D
Old 08-20-2003, 08:58 AM
Blue68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Barry,
I would be interested in going to HRP with you on Sunday. I have been wanting to go back out for a while now. I do not know if I will race or not, but it is a blast just being a spectator, especially if someone is there that you know.

I will send you an email later.
wayne h.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:14 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insurance is such a scam, you have to have it and there is not much incentive for the companies to be more efficient since they have 'captive' customers. If I make no claims I get no money back but if I make a claim they raise my rates. :mad It is a form of gambling in my book, they set the 'odds' on you not making a claim and can change it even if you have to make a claim that was no fault of your own. :mad
Old 08-20-2003, 10:27 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: What not to do with Classic Car insurers.... (Fevre)

I have mine with Condon and Skelly (which is through MetLife now). They are very interested in how many miles I put each year, but I think any organized club event is covered so you might ask them. They advertise in most of the Corvette mags. Very reasonable prices for an agreed value policy even though mine is considered "modified" with a stock Tuned-Port conversion.

Get notified of new replies

To What not to do with Classic Car insurers....

Quick Reply: What not to do with Classic Car insurers....