C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading misc. driveline parts/rear end

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 07:04 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Upgrading misc. driveline parts/rear end

Now that I've picked up 100rwhp with the head swap, I am seriously considering ditching my 3.36 rear gears and stepping down to 3.08s. With my Richmond 5-speed, 1st and 2nd are almost useless now even with wide, Z-rated rubber out back.

If I decide to swap gears, I figure I should consider upgrading the associated driveline parts back there. Halfshafts/spindles/driveshaft/carrier, etc.

I know absolutely NOTHING about the rear ends in these cars. I have the stock BB halfshafts, u-joints have been replaced at some point and appear to be in really good shape, and I assume is the stock differential and carrier unit.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to stay with IRS and the stock-type suspension, so something that will bolt-in is appropriate for this application.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Re: Upgrading misc. driveline parts/rear end (WA 2 FST)

I don't think I'll be the only guy to suggest checking with "Tom's Differentials"- at least I think that's the name of his business. He's got a website & a bunch of top quality parts for the entire rear end of our cars, including a beefed up differential. He or his staff should be able to take care of any advise & parts you need. I wish I had the $$$ to re-do my whole set up w/ his stuff. :thumbs:
Old 08-19-2003, 07:52 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Upgrading misc. driveline parts/rear end (Les)

Thanks, Les. I will do a search for the Tom's stuff. I am not in a big hurry, to be honest. I just spent some decent $$ on the engine parts, not to mention the trans/clutch stuff about 8 months ago. But I like to do my research well in advance, so I appreciate the input. :)
Old 08-20-2003, 09:53 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

WA 2, Van Steel now has available the whole Tom's setup except for the 12 bolt. I just bought their 30 spline inner/outer axles and 3.5 inch halfshafts with the 1480 U-joints. It looks beautiful. With a rebuilt rear end and rebuilt trailing arms it costs about 3700. I went with offset trailing arms as well. Check out their website under additional kits on the pull down menu. If you would like some pics of mine I can send them to you. I will be installing everything over the next month or so. Bill.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:18 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

What is the HP you're running and what are you going to do with the car? For street use and light drag racing the stock units will hold up to around 450 hp if I recall correctly. If you can rebuild the rear end yourself you can do some of the mods that Tom's does. If you're going to run it hard then you might consider the 12 bolt conversion if you have the funds. Tom's has gears made for them specialy by US Gear. I used a set of 3:73's last year and was pleased with them.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:39 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Upgrading misc. driveline parts/rear end (gtr1999)

Gkull & myself both use Tom's stuff. I have been very pleased with their service and would buy from them again. You may also want to consider using halfshaft safety loops with the added power and Z-grip tires :yesnod: .

I have some pics of my Tom's stuff & safety loops on my website ;) . http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/mik...on/index.shtml

[Modified by SmokedTires, 12:42 PM 8/20/2003]
Old 08-20-2003, 06:25 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Upgrading misc. driveline parts/rear end (SmokedTires)

Great info and pics (Smoked Tires) guys. :)

I am only at ~510+hp now (434rwhp recently dyno'd), so this is not an outrageous BB, but it is a solid 11-second capable car. I do not go around dumping the clutch, and if I did it would just fry the tires anyway as even the good Z-rated rubber is not going to hold. I do NOT plan to run slicks on the car.

Bill, let me know how your install goes. I already have VBP offset trailing arms that have been on the car less than 8 months. I also read that with the bigger halfshafts like you're getting, that Tom's says you will have to modify the battery box. I wonder what that's all about?

Anyway, sounds like you got the exact setup (30-spline, 1480 u-joint stuff) I was eyeing. Looks great. :)
Old 08-21-2003, 11:17 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Hi there, I'm making same kinda power on my BB (540hp/552tq) and I also have the 5 speed Richmond. I bought new Ring n Pinion kit from Ikerd's, it's a 2,73 so I hopefully will have some usage for the first two gears :lol: . I bought the carbon fibre 1/2 shafts from Van Steel and no that other have said VS stock Tom's stuff, I will have to look at some spindles! Keep us posted on what you'll end up getting. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrading misc. driveline parts/rear end

Quick Reply: Upgrading misc. driveline parts/rear end