C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power windows stopped workin

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 01:33 PM
deadfriendbass
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power windows stopped workin

power windows stopped workin... i checked the fuse.. cant tell if its dead or not... its a thick one w/ metal wrapped around it.. so i cant see the wire inside... i reaplaced it w/ a 30 amp fuse... and as soon as i turn on the car.. POP....

any ideas... kinda stuck

-brian
Old 08-19-2003, 01:36 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: Power windows stopped workin (deadfriendbass)

sounds like you have a short somewhere and Bubba once fixed it with foil around the fuse. Thats a big no-no :nono: . You will have to start looking/testing wire for shorts and anything not normal. Good luck, electrical probs can be a little tuff. Oh, and it really helps to have a good diagram.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:21 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

That happened to me. Somebody had wired around the relay and increased the fuse size. I'd check that first. I think a 30 amp fuse is way big, but can't remember what the correct size is. Also, on my 76, everytime the fuse blew, the center console gages quit working. Yours may be wired different though.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:30 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would be :cool: if they eng a fitting like they have for the spare tire on GM trucks where you would insert a screw driver into a fitting in the end of the door to roll the window up/down in the event of power window failure.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:04 AM
Fleetwood
Pro

I think from 79 onwards they did away with a power windows relay,so there is a direct feed from a 30A fuse at the fuse panel to the switches,I think it's a heavy gauge pink wire.Unfortunatly your problem could be anywhere,& it's just a case of eliminating each section of the system.First try disconnecting the plugs from the back of the switches,put a fuse in,if it blows,the fault is between the switch plug & the fuse panel,if not connect the plugs back & disconnected the plugs from the motors in the doors,& try the fuse in again.As I say just a process of elimination,could be a fault in the motor,switch or wiring harness.

Neil.

Get notified of new replies

To Power windows stopped workin

Quick Reply: Power windows stopped workin