C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deer strike

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 11:39 PM
RLS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default deer strike

Just came in from looking at the damage to my surburban from a deer hit a few minutes ago. Need grille, bumper etc. Just thankfull it was not my bike or vette. It sure makes you stop and think about night riding. It was dark and two deer came across the 4 lane and I got the second one. Took it dead on. Did not serve as I did not want to chance a roll or something and I was hoping that it would switch directions and I could split them. I had gotten it slowed down enough, but I sure punted it into the bar ditch. I remember thinking "man it punted Bambi a ways"

I was thinking not 5 minutes prior that I needed some deer whistles. I guess what I need to know are they all the same or some better than others. Now that the horse is out of the barn so to speak, I think I may invest in some as hell what could it hurt. As a side thought we really need to thin out the deer population.

I shudder to think what it would have done to the bike or vette! I figure that if I had been in the vette it would have came up over the hood and into the windshield. On the Harley I probably would still be laying there. Thank goodness for 4wd surburbans, just a thud and nothing else. Guys this is getting serious. It seems anytime you go out you see dead deer every where. I would think the insc. companies out be yelling for help in getting the herds thined out. Guys, lets be careful out there!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2003, 11:44 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: deer strike (RLS)

Blame Disney for making that damn Bambi a national cause 'celeb'....

damn useless berry eating disease carrying forest crap, need killing off...

GENE
Old 08-18-2003, 11:47 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: deer strike (mrvette)

Blame Disney for making that damn Bambi a national cause 'celeb'....

damn useless berry eating disease carrying forest crap, need killing off...

GENE
Gene im guessing that deer hunting just went out of season :jester
Old 08-18-2003, 11:55 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Glad you are OK. As you know, there are PLENTY of deer here in Michigan too, and thats one reason I dont like to drive the Vette at nite. I hit one full frontal in an S-10 pickup once and it did over 2K damage w/o ruining the motor. Michigan Farm Bureau (for crop damage!) and Insurance companies are screaming for a reduction in the herd, but the MI DNR does little about it, because lots of deer means lots of money for the State when Hunting Season rolls around. You drive the roads, you take your chances I guess.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:02 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

I see we are going on the second day of "Road Kill". A good set of aircraft landing lights pointed outward at night in remote areas where large animals come out to play will stop them dead in their tracks before they ever get enticed to the road in front of you. I had a set on my truck when I traveled all through Colorado, Utah & Wyoming. It tends to **** off oncoming traffic, but never had one instance of getting close to hitting a deer while traveling 50,000 miles(many at night) in a year while hitting drilling rigs while in the Rockies. A poor friend of mine(also in the same business & in a car) totalled two deer within 3 months.... and pretty much totalled the car(s).

The worst thing I have seen in front of me in a '73 vette? An armadillo(big one) attempting to duck with me heading straight for it. You ever seen an armadillo duck? Head & tail go in and the shell stationary ready to wipe out an oil pan & probably the suspension as it hurdles underneath.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:29 AM
Hobbes Blk '80
Instructor

Default Re: deer strike (bgrice)

Up in Edmonton the scavenger deer commonly known as "Hobo's" have gone crazy. Downtown traffic and they will run out in front of you with a Sqwee-Gee shouting about nickels.... Thank god for those high mph front Bumpers :D :lurk:
Old 08-19-2003, 02:53 AM
1Asterisk
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like its time to get a nice rifle and take them on!

I live in MS, and we have our fair share of loose deer too. I wonder how quickly they would really become a problem if it wasnt for hunters....
Old 08-19-2003, 09:16 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

we have a road just off base here (Whiteman AFB, Mo.) that runs thru the state park that manages to have about 2-3 car-v-deer matches a month.. I've been eyeball to eyeball with a bunch of deer there but fortunate enough not to hit one...definitely makes ya a bit touchy when you see them however... especially in the vette...just be thankful that no one was hurt when you hit the deer
Old 08-19-2003, 09:52 AM
'71vert
Instructor

My parents own a cabin in northern WI that is about an hour from town they make the commute a few times a week. They have the deer whistles on both their cars and have worked for them. (They only work at 35mph+)
My father used to work for the local sheriffs dept. and they were continually hitting deer, bear, etc. Once they installed the whistles, the incidences reduced dramatically.
As long as you don't mind the look, I would recommend them.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:01 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,477 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

This last spring, we were on a club drive out. We were just north of Peoria, IL, when (2) deer came out of the woods. The front car hit the hooks, I saw one run off thinking he got by it OK, but there was a second. I just saw the deer stumble and collapse, and knew the front car hit it. It was a '66 convertible, 90% restored. It's still in the shop and its at $11,000. It probably would have been driveable, but the fan just caught the radiator.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:21 PM
RLS
Instructor

Just got my estimates for repairs on 01 surburban. Just under two thousand. Funny thing. No paint work needed. Hit it head on and I just need a bumber, grill lights etc. Just bolt on and off stuff. Includes cleaning off the deer crap, must have scared him crapless--it did me! Anyway body shop says they two or three a week. Between hail and deers they make a good living. Really need to thin them out. May invest in the deer whistles-could not hurt.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:31 PM
RLS
Instructor

One more thing, the body shop also said if you think a deer hit is bad try a wild pig. It goes right under the car and tears everything up. They can weigh as much as 250 lbs and are very solid. They are getting real thick in SW oklahoma and north texas. They came to Oklahoma from texas--just another reason to beat them in football!
Old 08-19-2003, 02:02 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad you're ok!
And best of all, that score was 500 points :thumbs:
Old 08-19-2003, 07:16 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about your Suburban.
...Just thankfull it was not my bike or vette. It sure makes you stop and think about night riding...
Back in June I was riding my Yamaha FZ1 when I hit a deer. I'm still have a few physical remiders but my riding gear prevented me from being injured too badly. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=598350
...As a side thought we really need to thin out the deer population...
:iagree: ...That's what I'm smokin' :yesnod: :lol: I've been urging all of my deer hunting friends to start sighting in their rifles and honing their archery skills for the upcoming hunting season. I really want them all to be VERY successful deer hunters!!!

Ride/Drive safe! :thumbs:
Old 08-27-2003, 12:13 AM
tedo77
Cruising

A deer HIT ME about 2 months ago. It ran into the passenger side wheel well front, stress cracked the fender and took a 2 inch piece out, hit the door and just moved it 1/4 " back, took the mirror off (I think it's still spinning up in the air) emptied it's bowels across the window and flipped over the car. I got lucky as the total cost was $1400 to fix the mess paint and all. I live in upstate NY and deer are running all over the place.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:29 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: deer strike (tedo77)

glad you are ok.. at least its not as bad as this.....

Old 08-27-2003, 12:56 AM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default Re: deer strike (MIKER)

2 and a half years ago, I hit a cow while riding my VFR down a country road at night. It was a black angus, and she was so black, by the time I saw her, I didn't have time to touch the brakes. It messed me up some, but I think the full leathers and helmet saved my life. I will never ride at night again if I can help it. And if I can't, I'm slowing down to senior citizen speeds.

Get notified of new replies

To deer strike

Old 08-27-2003, 03:39 AM
RJR99SS
Le Mans Master

i live out in farm country, basically everyone out here hits a deer at least two or three times in their life. I've never hit one personally, so i'm always dreading when i will.

I came close though, i was taking a long trip on a long, straight road with no traffic in my 99 camaro ss. So naturally i was going pretty fast, i notice a pack of deer run right out in front of me. I SLAM on the brakes, i panicked so much that i didnt even push the clutch in, i just stalled the car. I start thinking what wonders a deer will do to my fiberglass bumper and hood.

It was like something out of a cartoon, the deer just stood there staring at me and i stopped literally right in front of him. I think i may have just nudged him just a tad because he took off running right when i stopped. I got out and checked and no damage at all.

But just about everyone i know has totalled a car or two on a deer. I got this really strange buddy of mine who showed up at my house one day. He just sat around drinking, watching tv with me for about 4 hours, then he asks me if i got a gun. I say i got lots, why?

He then takes me outside to my driveway, where i see his car....With a big buck just sitting on the hood, his antlers stuck in the windshield. The thing was bleeding all over the hood and moaning. We had to shoot the thing, then saw its antlers off to free it from the hood.

I always start cracking up every time i picture him slamming into a deer, it bashing through his windshield with his antlers. Then he just keeps trucking, he later told me he went to the grocery store and got gas with the deer on there like that.

He even drove it for about 6 months with the windshield smashed up and deer antlers sticking out of it.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:46 AM
RC73
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They came to Oklahoma from texas--just another reason to beat them in football!
Were's OK's pro teams:D

[Modified by C3RC, 8:48 AM 8/27/2003]

[Modified by C3RC, 8:49 AM 8/27/2003]
Old 08-27-2003, 05:20 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: deer strike (Corz)

glad you are ok.. at least its not as bad as this.....

I wonder what the vette would look like if it has a close encounter with a Moose.. :leaving:

Quick Reply: deer strike