C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second try at a long cruise second time the car fails me

Old 08-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Rick68
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second try at a long cruise second time the car fails me

Well I decided to take the vette to Wasaga Beach Corvette show. My wife was nervous about taking it after it left us at the side of the highway for the Niagara falls 50th birthday cruise.I told her I fixed the problem so not to worrie
We about 230 kilometers into the trip about a half hour short of Wasaga Beach when entering a small town on the route I started to down shift when the car felt like I hit the brakes.I almost had the truck behind me ram my butt
I pulled over to see smoke billowing out of the rear wheel well. I figured the brake or the bearings had seized. To make a longer story shorter small town on a sunday no garages even the police station was closed. Finally the O.P.P.(provicial police) came by and called a flat bed for me. $500 to tow it home.But the saddest thing was at least 9 corvettes drove by us and not one stopped to ask if we could use some help. So much for the corvette camaraderie. Both my wife and I were deeply disappointed by their inaction.I would never leave a fellow vetter on the side of the road without stopping to offer some help even if it was just the use of a phone.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:42 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Second try at a long cruise second time the car fails me (73Stingraycoupe)

I can assure you Corvette camaraderie is not dead, as I would have stopped to help. Did you find the problem?
Old 08-18-2003, 10:51 PM
Rick68
Pro

Default Re: Second try at a long cruise second time the car fails me (SharkAttack)

It was the brakes. The calipers,rotors and pads were totally fried
Old 08-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Second try at a long cruise second time the car fails me (73Stingraycoupe)

It was the brakes. The calipers,rotors and pads were totally fried
Thank god it wasn't a spindle/bearing assembly! I've never been left on the side of the road before. I have worse luck right here in the city. The worst is when you stall out at a 4 way stop and there's nothing you can do. A bunch of pissed off people speed around you and maybe one guy will help push you out of the way. I too would have stopped to see what was wrong. :yesnod:
Old 08-19-2003, 08:53 AM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Second try at a long cruise second time the car fails me (Stingy74)

Geez Rick ... you're not having great luck lately. When and where did this happen? A bunch of TO Shark Pack guys were up there (stpman, dwayne76, gdh, 1bad69) we would have done anything to help you out!
Old 08-19-2003, 05:58 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter what, I would have stopped to ask if I could lend a hand. I also believe that you were treated to the egotistical BS that sometimes enters into owning a Vette.

Sorry---really, that was a bad deal.

I think I may have gone ballistic, being treated by my fellow Vette owners that way. However, your up north with the Frog's / Frenchies, so it does not surprise me one bit.

Hey, down here in the good ole US of A, we try real hard to please. Lending assistance when ever we can---------globally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fix it, drive it and install a Northstar system, just so your wife will get back in it , and you can be together. Ah--------Togetherness???? :lol: :cheers:
Old 08-19-2003, 06:02 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Second try at a long cruise second time the car fails me (GREGG-73)

I also broke down on Saturday and had two C-5's pass me by. I posted in C-5 section and was shunned as a fight picker. Most said they would stop. Luckly it was not a big deal and the wrecker came in under 30 minutes.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:14 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

In Kansas, it is illegal to stop on the road to offer assistance. Some BS about being more dangerous having more people in the roadway......blah, blah, blah......what a crappy law!
:rolleyes:
Old 08-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

However, your up north with the Frog's / Frenchies, so it does not surprise me one bit.
Well, there's an ignorant and bigoted statement if I ever heard one. Pretty disappointing coming from a fellow '73 owner.

You're as bad as the people that didn't stop to help :nono:
Old 08-19-2003, 07:01 PM
Hobbes Blk '80
Instructor

I was going to comment on French people...Being from Alberta, We focus more on the ever-local "Natives" for our humor...but I have lived in Ottawa, and them French guys are everything they are cracked up to be! :smash: :smash: :lol: :lol:

In Response to Mike : Being a Bigot was something I came to terms with at a young age. I would never judge someone individually on where they are from, but when you pick on entire groups of people, theres no going wrong.

If someone were to boil me down, I would be Irish. Send your hate this way my brother! :hurray: :party:

[Modified by Hobbes Blk '80, 12:03 AM 8/20/2003]
Old 08-19-2003, 08:37 PM
Crickett
Racer

Default Re: Second try at a long cruise second time the car fails me (Hobbes Blk '80)

Sorry to hear about that!! Too bad I wasn't there. I would've stopped to help. :thumbs:
Old 08-19-2003, 08:52 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

I am sorry to hear that. Doesn't your insurance policy cover towing? My collector policy with State Farm covers it all...I would have stopped to help you :yesnod:
Old 08-19-2003, 10:01 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Default Re: Second try at a long cruise second time the car fails me (Alwyn678)

Everybody bashes New Yorkers but the one time I overheated due to a busted water pump about 10 people stopped to offer assistance in the one hour I waited for a Flatbed. A guy in a Mustang even stopped.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:07 PM
wayne_69_427
Pro

I always stop to help you never know when it might be you on the side of the road. :thumbs:
Old 08-19-2003, 10:12 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Second try at a long cruise second time the car fails me (75Rag)

Geez Rick ... you're not having great luck lately. When and where did this happen? A bunch of TO Shark Pack guys were up there (stpman, dwayne76, gdh, 1bad69) we would have done anything to help you out!
:iagree:
Wouldn't pass a stranded Vette even if it's only to lend a phone

Steve :steering:
Old 08-19-2003, 10:46 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Second try at a long cruise second time the car fails me (75Rag)

SCUMBAGS...that is what those who passed without assisting you are..IMHO...if I offend anyone who passed so be it. I for one will always stop and ask a vette if they need assistance. We all should help other brother and sister vette owners.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:54 PM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

However, your up north with the Frog's / Frenchies, so it does not surprise me one bit.
Fairly broad and ignorant statement .... I'm offended. For your information, the Wasaga Beach show is the largest Corvette week end in Canada. It draws Corvette owners from all around ..... including the U.S. I'm not for a moment suggesting I know where these rude self centered Corvette owners were from, but I am suggesting you don't know.

To berate the owners that didn't stop to render assistance is one thing, to attack the population of the hosting Country is quite another ...

A retraction of your statement would be appreciated. Not expected, but appreciated.

[Modified by 75Rag, 4:17 AM 8/20/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Second try at a long cruise second time the car fails me

Old 08-19-2003, 11:37 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Last Fri. night I was getting gas in my own town, when I got into the cabin I accidentally stepped on the gas pedal and flooded the engine. Those of us who suffered through the blackout know of the line ups at the pumps. Anyway no real lineup but an elderly lady was behind me and was really po'd at me for not being able to start right away, and then she gave me the finger, man that 80 year old finger while small was real wrinkley, I guess I should of turned around and looked at her after it did start and engulfed her in a Batman style blue smoke screen. Canadians eh whether you love us or just want to bbq us, we are different. Sorry you did not get proper assistance from us vetters.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:52 PM
Rick68
Pro

I have know doubt that any member of this forum would stop to help out a fellow vette owner.I never thought to check out my policy to see if it covered the tow thanks Alwyn678. Mike I was on highway 89 I think the town was Shelbourn ? I was told by the O.P.P. the next closest city was Orangeville about 15 kilometers away. I think the part that bothered me the most was they were all C3s that passed me by. And it wasn't like they couldn't see me with a yellow 68 convert. with smoke coming out of the wheel well on a two lane road. Oh well what can you do. :cheers:
Old 08-20-2003, 08:04 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Oh no, I live in Orangeville, what time of day was that that you got stranded. I went up Sat. morning and again Sunday afternoon but not through Shelburne. From now on if you are coming this way, let us know, give us your cell # etc. Wasaga was only about 35 minutes away from you. I have 3 cars so could have got your vette over to my mechanic just outside of O'ville - specializes in vettes, given you and your wife one of our cars to get home then when your vette was ready you cold have come back and dropped our car off.

[Modified by gdh, 8:10 PM 8/20/2003]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Second try at a long cruise second time the car fails me