C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 08:52 PM
sewright
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical question

Very odd problem. My vette ('80), when I start it the choke light is on. When I give it a few RPM's or after a minute or so the choke light goes out and the battery light goes on (yes, simultaneously). So tonight it wouldn't start. Not all that unusual for my vette (I marked zero miles on the pole of how much you've driven your car in 12 months...I'm trying to change that). So I put the starter on the car and fired it up. The choke light stayed on until I disconnected the charger, then it went off and the battery light came on.

BTW: the battery light has been on for 5 years through a couple batteries. I believe this is not an alternator problem.

Anyway, it would seem that I have a ground problem but how are those two items connected? Choke light and the battery light wouldn't seem to be connected...I'm puzzled.

Thanks,
Sam :confused:
Old 08-18-2003, 09:53 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: electrical question (sewright)

It the bat/alt/gen light on all the way?? or just dimly lit.??? basically only noticed at night....

GENE
Old 08-18-2003, 10:03 PM
sewright
Instructor

Default Re: electrical question (mrvette)

Gene,
I would say that it is fairly well lit. Definitely noticeable during the day but I wouldn't say that it is fully lit (just my impression). Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sam
Old 08-18-2003, 10:10 PM
Fleetwood
Pro

What happens if you remove the wire from the electric ckoke,does the charge light still stay on,also check the ground wire at the alterater.Has the alterater been changed at some stage,may be a single wire.
Neil.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:15 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

First off, I would check the grounds for the light bulbs, that the connector to the harness is definately in the circuit, and there is NO voltage on the housing...
second off, it's entirely possible the two wires to the regulator of the alternator are reversed....what you need do is pull the regulator two wire plug with engine running and offending light lit...see if it goes out....
if it does, you need measure the voltage at both terminals with engine/key off....the one with the voltage goes to the terminal toward the pass side of the car....assuming they are on TOP rear...dunno how else to describe it, as many alts' do not have markings on the 2 wire clip to id the terminals...
the other wire will have voltage on it with key on and engine running or not...
that goes to the driver's side terminal....check those 2 things before we go much further.....anyting else gets hard....

GENE
Old 08-19-2003, 07:39 PM
sewright
Instructor

Default Re: electrical question (mrvette)

Thanks for the suggestions, Gene. I checked them and both are okay...I was concerned that the wires were backwards because when I removed the plug the battery light went out and the choke light came back on...odd but the wires were correct.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 08-19-2003, 07:42 PM
sewright
Instructor

Default Re: electrical question (Fleetwood)

Thanks Neil. Not a single wire alternator, I thought I checked the grounds previously but I will do it again...just to make sure. I'm known to have mental lapses when it comes to mechanical items...
Old 08-19-2003, 08:10 PM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went down this road with my 80 as well. It turned out to be a faulty diode in the alternator. Take it in to the local parts store that can test it for you to make sure but I will bet that is your problem. I put in a new alternator and all is fine again.

CVT4ME
Old 08-20-2003, 07:48 PM
sewright
Instructor

Default Re: electrical question (Fleetwood)

Thanks Neil. Not a single wire alternator, I thought I checked the grounds previously but I will do it again...just to make sure. I'm known to have mental lapses when it comes to mechanical items...
Old 08-21-2003, 12:20 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Have your alt output checked out. The 'choke light' is also an indicator of alt output prob's.
Good Luck :chevy
Old 08-21-2003, 10:34 AM
SnoDrgn
Team Owner

Location: Swords Check/Saws Check/Clubs Check/Claws Check/Hatred Check/Anger Check/Murmaid Check/Murder Check
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: electrical question (CVT4ME)

I just went down this road with my 80 as well. It turned out to be a faulty diode in the alternator. Take it in to the local parts store that can test it for you to make sure but I will bet that is your problem. I put in a new alternator and all is fine again.

CVT4ME
I'm thinking alternator as well. Had a similar problem although not identical with an 81 Cutlass. Alternator was flaky and starting to go bad.

Get notified of new replies

To electrical question

Quick Reply: electrical question