C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who was it that used zip ties on seat covers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 08:50 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Who was it that used zip ties on seat covers?

I remember someone posting a while back that they used zip ties to attach there seat covers. I just started working on the seat backs tonight and there is NO way that I am going to be able to pull the short clips through the foam far enough to attach to the back rods like I was able to do with the seat bottoms. :smash: After looking and thinking about it, zip ties don't sound like such a bad idea. Thoughts, opinions?
Old 08-18-2003, 09:01 PM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Who was it that used zip ties on seat covers? (BlackRat)

90% of the worlds problems can be solved with Gaffers tape and zip ties
cheers
chad
Old 08-18-2003, 09:06 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone here that has put new seats with new foam into their shells knows how dam hard of a task it is...
well when talking to one of the guys in the shop where they do this everyday i asked if there was some kind of "special tool" that makes it easier...
the guy told me that there was no "special tool" but that he had made one that works pretty good...he filed or grinded a slot in the end of a screwdriver and used it to push the metal rod back so that it can go into the clip...
if you have done this job you know what im talking about...
well ive gotta tell ya that it works like a charm!
a must have "special tool" if you are going to do this job...

Old 08-18-2003, 09:17 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Who was it that used zip ties on seat covers? (71'AirStrike)

90% of the worlds problems can be solved with Gaffers tape and zip ties
:lol: Agreed......

SIGNGUY
Thanks for the info. I did the seat bottoms just the way the instructions said. I took a clothes hanger and fashioned a hook on the end. That worked like a charm. So you would think that if it worked on the bottoms it should work on the seat backs............Wrong :mad The problem that I am having is that the smaller clips that are used for the backs want pull far enough through the foam to get a rod to go in. Even with standing on the covers and pulling as hard as I can you can just barely see the top of the ring clip. I was just thinking that with some good thick zip ties you could achieve the same results without killing your hands and also not having to worry about corrosion. I just don't see how these clips will pull far enough through.

Thanks
Wade :cheers:
Old 08-18-2003, 09:48 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I"ts ME, I give it up.....but in fact, you can't tell my seat installs from totally stock or a pro job...but now some 7 years later and a good bit in the Florida sun since '97, the seats are really tired on the bottoms, but on the backs they are fine....and it's all tie wraps....I see no reason to ever fight clips...

GENE
Old 08-18-2003, 09:59 PM
Fleetwood
Pro

I used zip ties to put my seat covers on as well,much easier & you can get the tension as you want it.Admittedly they were covers I made up myself. :)
Old 08-19-2003, 08:21 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Who was it that used zip ties on seat covers? (mrvette)

Thanks guys I knew you were out there. :hurray: I did the clips on the bottoms but I think that instead of fighting these things I am going to stop by the store on the way home this evening and pic up a pack of ties for the seat backs. my car is only going to be a weekender and garaged 95% of the time. Thanks for chiming in. :cheers:
Old 08-19-2003, 03:40 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys I knew you were out there. :hurray: I did the clips on the bottoms but I think that instead of fighting these things I am going to stop by the store on the way home this evening and pic up a pack of ties for the seat backs. my car is only going to be a weekender and garaged 95% of the time. Thanks for chiming in. :cheers:
Sorry, I just have to chime in here with a single word... Bubba! Just kidding, sounds like you'll be all finished up here soon! Wish I was that far along, but I get to spend time pulling out an engine and waiting for a new one... If it's not one thing, it's another. :rolleyes:
Old 08-19-2003, 04:04 PM
bobtheracer
Intermediate

When I did my seats I ran out of "D" rings . I used small wire ties ( nylon zip ties) and I thought why didn"t I think of this sooner!!! If i did the job would have been less of a hassel. Worked like a charm.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:09 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Who was it that used zip ties on seat covers? (dath)

Sorry, I just have to chime in here with a single word... Bubba!
dath,

First of all..... :lol: I agree I thought the same thing to. So I put the little clips on like was described and pulled and tugged and cussed and :smash: After 2 hours of work all I had to show for my efforts was really sore hands and fore arms. I believe in doing a job right but I am also open to different suggestions. Since my car will not be NCRS and I did the bottoms the standard way which the bottoms are the only areas that show I decided what the heck I will give it a try. In 30 minutes I had one cover on and could adjust the tension as I worked. The seat cover looks great! and once I put the back cover on knowone will no what I did but me. :D

I STRONGLY recommend getting a pack of the thick ties from Advance Auto or some place like that and do your seat backs the same way. It will save you tons of time and heart ache. If you are uncomfortable with the strength aspect of the ties just do what I did and double them up at every connection point. Trust me they are a lot stronger than those clips. I did use hog rings to attch the covers to the seat frame itself though since these areas will probably be under a lot more stress.

I will take some pics of the covers installed with the zips tonight so you can see what you think. Either way you go though I appreciate all the help you have given me thus far.

Thanks
Wade

[Modified by BlackRat, 7:23 AM 8/20/2003]
Old 08-20-2003, 09:35 AM
dukvet76
Pro

See Here:
http://www.mnsi.net/~stingray/seatcoverinstall.pdf

I did both on my 76 seats and the 86 seats.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:31 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will take some pics of the covers installed with the zips tonight so you can see what you think. Either way you go though I appreciate all the help you have given me thus far.
Look forward to seeing some pictures. Glad I could be of help. Seems like most of the time it me who's getting help, so it's nice that someone had a problem I could help with for once:D

:cheers:
-dath

Get notified of new replies

To Who was it that used zip ties on seat covers?

Quick Reply: Who was it that used zip ties on seat covers?