C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat riser

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 03:47 PM
jaybird81
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heat riser

I may have to replace the heat hiser in my 81 Vette. It seems to be vacum operated. I was looking in Ecklers and 80-81 are $99.00. Other years are under $40. I don't want to have a vacum one I would rather have a mechanical one. My question is can I use one from like a 78 or 79 in place of mine. I think I would just have to make sure they are the same shape. So my other question is are the manifolds the same pattern?
Old 08-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Riceater
Racer

Default Re: Heat riser (jaybird81)

Not exactly sure what you are looking for, but you can have mine if it has anything to do with the exaust or intake manifold. I'm removing both in the next couple of weeks and replacing with headers and an RPM air gap
Old 08-18-2003, 05:45 PM
jaybird81
Racer

Anyone else????
Old 08-18-2003, 08:48 PM
gmcclurg
Racer

When I went to True duals on my 77, I removed the heat riser valve and just put a spacer inbetween the manifold and the pipe. The engine warms up fast enough, no need to restrict the exhaust.
Gil
Old 08-18-2003, 09:31 PM
SC71LT1
Intermediate

Default Re: Heat riser (gmcclurg)

If you don't run in cold weather you really don't need it at all. Paragon has a heat riser spacer that replaces the heat riser while maintaining stock clearance between exhaust pipe and manifold.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:58 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

AS I RECALL, there is a differance in the iron thickness between the older temp activated heat riser and the later vacuum activated heat riser....

Frankly, the cheapest thing is take it off, remove the heat flapper, and all outside metal off the thing, weld up the holes, and reinstall....much cheaper than most exhaust shops....unless you live in Minnesota something in winter, and actually drive the car, it's about useless....plenty of crossover heat as it is, no need to bake out the carbs...

GENE
Old 08-18-2003, 10:55 PM
pdgourno
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the $99 version from Ecklers brand new that I will sell you for $50 plus shipping. I thought I would replace it because it was making a racket. But all I did was block off the vacuum hose and I am happy. When you block the vacuum line the riser is open, non-functioning. Warms up fine for me. I start the car, choke kicks in, I hit the car with the California duster and finish that just as the choke is released. A piece of engineering they could have skipped IMHO.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:18 PM
WPEDirect
Instructor

Pulled mine off, drilled out the flapper shaft, tapped the hole and threaded a bolt into it (covered with high temp sealant). No problems since... :smash:
Old 08-19-2003, 05:17 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Heat riser (mrvette)

Frankly, the cheapest thing is take it off, remove the heat flapper, and all outside metal off the thing, weld up the holes, and reinstall....much cheaper than most exhaust shops....unless you live in Minnesota something in winter, and actually drive the car, it's about useless....plenty of crossover heat as it is, no need to bake out the carbs...
That's exactly what's been done to my L81. No warm up problems at all & a lot less clutter in the engine bay.
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Heat riser

Quick Reply: Heat riser