C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Fan Switch Shuts OFF my Vette!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 03:38 PM
'74BigBlock
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Fan Switch Shuts OFF my Vette!!!

If anyone can help me I would appreicate it. I have a problem with my wiring, when I can get the car to start which is only one out of every three times I try it, one it won't shut off with the fan switch on, I have no interior lights and my wipers don't work(new motor and hums when pulled in and on). Could this be because my Engine wire harness is bad going to these theee things? One more thing, my starter gear isn't engaging all the way(I just put a new started and flywheel on). HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: My Fan Switch Shuts OFF my Vette!!! ('74BigBlock)

By fan do you mean your heater fan or do you have an elec cooling fan installed? Either way you need to get a wiring diagram and start tracing the connections. :sad:
Old 08-18-2003, 03:47 PM
'74BigBlock
Heel & Toe

It is my Heater Fan Switch.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:52 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Ouch! good luck with that electrical stuff. Sounds like you got a big problem there. As far as the starter goes it sounds like it just needs to be shimmed a little to engage properly. Its very common for this to happen and just requires a little patience to fix.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:52 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, that's trick. Just think, nobody will ever steal your car! Who would guess that you need to turn on the fan before starting her up??? :D

Seriously though, to me that kind of gremlin sounds like a bad ground somewhere. As for the starter, like was said before, you should be able to shim it into place properly. A helpful tip is to disconnect the + wire from the solenoid to the starter and then you should be able to use a remote starter (or have someone use the key) and check to see how it engages. At least I think this method will work. Otherwise you may be able to pry the gear into place by hand or with a screwdriver... Mileage may vary.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:49 AM
vettemack
Racer

I would check under the hood. The wiring comes through the firwall under the steering column and runs to the right side of the firewall. I believe the starter wiring, wiper motor wiring, and the blower motor wire run very close together there. You may have to unwap the wires to find the problem. It also sounds like you need to shim the starter motor. Remove the flywheel shield (not bellhousing) and using a bent paperclip, shim starter to provide paperclip clearance between starter teeth and flywheel teeth.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:59 PM
'74BigBlock
Heel & Toe

Default Re: My Fan Switch Shuts OFF my Vette!!! (vettemack)

Thanks so far guys. I'm just reluctant to go messing with my electrical wiring. I do suppose that if I take my time I can't mess it up. I'll just need to make sure that I label the wires that I might have to move. :banghead:

Get notified of new replies

To My Fan Switch Shuts OFF my Vette!!!

Quick Reply: My Fan Switch Shuts OFF my Vette!!!