C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non functioning horn

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 03:08 PM
HI ENRG
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non functioning horn

Hows it going C3 guys. I just picked up a mint 81 w/ 19K original miles. My only problem is that the horn doesn't work. I checked the fuse and it's ok. Is there a relay I could check and if so, where might I find it under that spacious dash :confused:

[Modified by HI ENRG, 8:09 PM 8/18/2003]
Old 08-18-2003, 03:45 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: Non functioning horn (HI ENRG)

You might want to check the horns themselves. When I got my car the horns didn't work and I messed around with a few things. But then I went and looked at the horns themselves I found that they had become disconnected. I quickly plugged them back in and they worked perfectly.

If you dont already know, the horns are located by the headlights (there should be two horns). You can see them by opening the hood and looking between the hood and front bumper. At least thats where they are on my 77.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:50 PM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Non functioning horn (77Dream)

The horn relay on a '68 is under the left front fender, just where the hood meets the fender, roughly about midway on the wheel well. Yours is much newer model but I'm guessing it might be in the same place. :cheers:
Old 08-18-2003, 03:51 PM
HI ENRG
Cruising

Default Re: Non functioning horn (77Dream)

I'll give it a shot tonight and hopefully that works. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2003, 03:53 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Non functioning horn (68shark)

The horn relay on a '68 is under the left front fender, just where the hood meets the fender, roughly about midway on the wheel well. Yours is much newer model but I'm guessing it might be in the same place. :cheers:
:iagree: if it's not there it could be on the firewall. I'd run 12 volts to each horn with a jumper wire and if they work go back from there next would be the relay.

Steve
Old 08-18-2003, 04:10 PM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Non functioning horn (stpman)

If it's not the horns themselves, or the fuse or relay, check the contacts in the horn button, that's what the problem was with mine. A little clean up, all is well!
Old 08-18-2003, 05:37 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Non functioning horn (HI ENRG)

Mine had the horn button assembled incorrectly. Take the cover button off (it just pulls off the clip) You should see a round retainer with a long pin or tab on the edge pointing into the steering column. It contacts a post on a spring inside the column. If you ground the post it should sound the horn.
Look in zip or corvette central for an exploded drawing of the horn button assembly.

[Modified by adamdinat, 5:38 PM 8/18/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Non functioning horn

Quick Reply: Non functioning horn