C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling UK Vettesters!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Skeets
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Calling UK Vettesters!!

I know there is a separate forum for locating parts... but, i thought i'd probably stand more chance of contacting you UK Vette Boys & Girls if i did a post here (sorry for not following protocol!!).... and not to alienate anyone in the good ole US of A, but i thought i would try at home first (then at least i could get it by the weekend!)

Anyways... does anyone have, or know anyone who has, an exhaust manifold to fit a '79 (the o/e cast iron rams-horn one)??

I drove rather too fast over a bump in the road on saturday night... caught my exhaust.. and completely cracked the down pipe off mine (whoops!) :rolleyes:

The problem is, the car now sounds like a Super Marine Spitfire.. and the neighbours are starting to give me nasty looks :skep:

A long shot i know... but i thought it might be worth while checking to see if anybody has a used one to sell.. before i approach those big bad nasty expensive parts dealers :skep:

If anyone can help, please just drop me an e-mail.. or i'll check back to the forum this evening.

Thanks again (and sorry again for not posting this in the other forum :D )
Old 08-18-2003, 12:26 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Calling UK Vettesters!! (Skeets)

If you've got your Vette sounding like a Spit then I want full details of how you've done it!! That bit in The Battle of Britain when a Spit is doing a loop? The point at the top of the climb the sound makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck - lovely :D And don't worry about the neighbours... dirty looks are all part of what being neighbours is all about :lol:

For a manifold try IMing AndrewCM. As I remember, he got a pair of manifolds from here (BSeery???) & may have a spare one. Worth a shot.
Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-18-2003, 12:39 PM
ukvette72
Instructor

Hi Skeets

you have mail.

David :seeya
Old 08-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Skeets
Racer

Default Re: Calling UK Vettesters!! (UKPaul)

Sure thing Paul... i can give you detailed instructions on how to achieve this awsome sound... i can even send pictures of what your "Super Marine Deluxe Manifolds" should look like when fitted! :D

For no extra cost, i will include my patented "bent wire coat-hanger" modification, which will subtly alter the acoustics of "SMD Manifolds" by slightly reducing the 6 inch chasm between manifold & downpipe (ideal for inner city driving, or funerals)
:smash:
Old 08-19-2003, 04:56 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

All has become clear.... the neighbours are probably giving you dirty looks because it doesn't sound right. If you disconnect the other exhaust pipe from it's manifold to "balance" the sound, you'll probably find that your neighbours will be shaking your hand & slapping you on the back for a job well done :D
Any luck getting another manifold?
:cheers:
Old 08-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Skeets
Racer

Default Re: Calling UK Vettesters!! (UKPaul)

Gee Paul, i think you are right!.... i never thought about it that way before! You are such a lateral thinker :D

Yep, i've had a couple of leads with the manifold, which is really encouraging :yesnod:

... i was hoping to get the car fixed so i could take it to that '50th Anniversary get together' at the Ace Cafe this saturday... but as it turns out, i may be working anyway (yawn)... still, i gotta pay for the manifold Somehow :lol:

Were you thinking of going to that? ... i don't know much about it, or how big it's gonna be... but it's was quite near me so i thought i'd take a look if i could.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:31 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Good luck finding a manifold, this isn't the weather to have a broken Vette :(
The Ace Cafe event looks like it's going to be a good one, but it just don't feel right going to the Ace in a CAR!!!!!! (If you do make it there, look out for MMG 652W).
Try to keep 28th Sept free as we're having a cruise to the National Heritage Museum in Gaydon. Should be the biggest cruise in the country (apart from the Nationals). http://www.corvetteclub.org.uk/ for details.
Might see you Saturday (I'll keep an ear out for you!).
:cheers:
Old 08-20-2003, 10:58 AM
Andrew CM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey skeets, sorry to hear your news. Mine did the same thing going along the M25 - doesnt it sound good. my neighbours were twitching the curtains too to get a look at the monster roaring up the road. I believe they thought i'd had a modification rather than a mishap. Replacing them was quite easy, it took me about 2 hours. I had to change all the plugs and leads too as the heat had cooked them pretty badly, however. I did consdier keeping the parts as spares but they really were beyond saving so cant help you there. got my new second hand ones via this forum. Worked out considerably cheaper, even with shipping, than getting them in the UK. Let me know if you want any other info cause I did a bit of research at the time.
Good luck. :thumbs:
Old 08-20-2003, 11:17 AM
Skeets
Racer

Default Re: Calling UK Vettesters!! (Andrew CM)

thanks guys!

I'm sure it wont take long to fix once i've got hold of a manifold... i've already had this broken one off recently to get it welded as it had a litte crack.. but obviously it was getting pretty weak!

Yep, i'll look out for you at the ACE if i make it..... though whether i'll risk the shame of taking a chuffing corvette i don't know :bb

Get notified of new replies

To Calling UK Vettesters!!

Quick Reply: Calling UK Vettesters!!