C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matching Locks and Ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Zealot-6
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matching Locks and Ignition?

I do not have the key to the door locks, and would like to have just one key for both the door locks and the ignition. What are my options here? Do they sell sets that use the same key? Or can the door locks be rekeyed to use the ignition key?

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2003, 12:15 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Default Re: Matching Locks and Ignition? (Zealot-6)

I haven't seen anyone that offers a mono key setup for the C3's. But in keeping with the same design of lock cylinders, both the ign and body lock cylinders are gated differently. So no, you couldn't have just one key for both ign and body.
Just look down the end of both keys together, and see the different gating (slots).
Old 08-18-2003, 12:39 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Matching Locks and Ignition? (ROD NOCK)

I disagree, the only replacement sets I have seen are one key sets. I bought a set from Ecklers 2 years ago when I painted my 71. I installed the door cylinders but have yet to tackle the steering column rebuild. But there is only one key for both, with a duplicate of course. I think I saw this same set at Oreilys as well.

[Modified by LAvetteman, 11:40 AM 8/18/2003]
Old 08-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Re: Matching Locks and Ignition? (Zealot-6)

The early C-3's all used the same key (square head) for the ignition and the doors, and then the round headed key was for the rear storage compartment, spare tire lock and the alarm switch.
GM may have changed this on the later vettes though.

I did not have the key to fit my alarm switch and rear storage compartment so I took the alarm lock cylinder to a locksmith and they were able to make me a new key for it.

Does your ignition key fit into the door lock but not turn it?
If so I would think that a good locksmith would be able to re-key one or more of the lock cylinders so the same key works on everything.
If not, you might be able to buy a complete set of lock cylinders for an earlier year vette that will work in your 79.

Old 08-18-2003, 01:35 PM
Zealot-6
Cruising

Default Re: Matching Locks and Ignition? (Kevin_73)

When I bought the car the owner did not have the keys. So first thing I did was change the ignition so I could begin diagonsing the car and prevent the previous owner from driving it off if he "found" the keys. So I've never seen the original keys, and now that I've finally got her running I'd like to be able to lock the doors as well. I'll look into getting a set at ecklers or o'reilys.

If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to chime in.

Thanks everyone

Get notified of new replies

To Matching Locks and Ignition?

Quick Reply: Matching Locks and Ignition?