C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch binding

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 09:53 AM
TotallySmoked
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch binding

I have read archived posts regarding the Centerforce DF clutch binding if the proper measurement from the pivot ball to the flywheel is made. I forgot to make this measurement and have found my clutch to be bound up unless I adjust it all the way out (towards the front of the car). The binding is so bad that the car wouldn't move and it was almost impossible to shift the car. I am now in the process of removing the transmission to make the proper measurement.
My question is, after reading the archived posts regarding this matter, I didn't read about anyone having as severe a binding issue as I did. Has anyone had this experience that I have had? Just curious in case it may be something even more that the pivot ball measurement, while I have the transmission out.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:04 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Clutch binding (TotallySmoked)

:seeya I had some pretty bad binding and finally replaced the pivot stud with an adj one. I also found that I have lots of wear in the linkage at all the major pivot points, probably with the extra friction for the binding. Mine is a ton better now but I still get a very small amount of binding when the car is hot but not near as bad as before. I used very thin washers at all the pivots points to shift the linkage over on the pivot areas (under the hood and dash) to where there is little or now wear and this seemed to help smooth the linkage out. You can rotate the pivot fitting that connects to the clutch rod, mine was worn about a 1/4 of the way through the fitting. :eek: I might switch to a hyd clutch so I have held of replacing any linkage parts, other that the pivot stud, until I make a final decision.

[Modified by Fevre, 9:04 AM 8/18/2003]
Old 08-18-2003, 10:09 AM
TotallySmoked
Intermediate

Default Re: Clutch binding (Fevre)

The pivot ball is a replacement and when I was replacing it, I remembered thinking how I didn't sink it nearly as far in as the original. The replacement is exactly the same as the original. I also ordered a Lakewood adjustable, just in case. Everything else in the shift linkage is essentially new, including the transmission, engine, springs, etc. Was it hard to shift your car?
:thumbs:
Thanks.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Fevre
Race Director

The pivot ball is a replacement and when I was replacing it, I remembered thinking how I didn't sink it nearly as far in as the original. The replacement is exactly the same as the original. I also ordered a Lakewood adjustable, just in case. Everything else in the shift linkage is essentially new, including the transmission, engine, springs, etc. Was it hard to shift your car?
:thumbs:
Thanks.
Yes it was hard to shift and I had the it adj out to the end of the clutch rod.
BTW I used some JB weld on the adj stud threds to lock it in place, some have had the nut come loose or break allowing the stud to move back into the bellhousing.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:18 AM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Is this problem with the Centerforce clutches common in other brands of clutches, or just a reflection of the Centerforce design. I'm in the market for a new clutch, but am beginning to wonder if the problems I hear about Centerforce are worth the trouble.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:24 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Clutch binding (rponfick)

Is this problem with the Centerforce clutches common in other brands of clutches, or just a reflection of the Centerforce design. I'm in the market for a new clutch, but am beginning to wonder if the problems I hear about Centerforce are worth the trouble.
Just follow the instructions, like I didn't :rolleyes: , and you should have no problems, it is really a great clutch.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:29 AM
TotallySmoked
Intermediate

Default Re: Clutch binding (Fevre)

I agree, if I had read ALL the instructions, I wouldn't be having this problem.
:crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch binding

Quick Reply: Clutch binding