C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the amp rating of the stock altinator? Elec. fans + under drive pully = dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 08:40 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default What is the amp rating of the stock altinator? Elec. fans + under drive pully = dead battery

I jsut installed Spal dual electric fans. I also install an under-drive pully set. I Went for a ride and killed the battery. At idle I believe with under drive pullies the alt does not charge. I also noticed that before I even put the fans and pully set on at night when I would rev the engine the lights would get brighter. Would a higher amp rated alt help? I am also going to put the stock pully back on the alt. :(
Old 08-18-2003, 08:50 AM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What is the amp rating of the stock altinator? Elec. fans + under

Looking at your profile I noticed that you have a '72. I'll have to wait 'till I get home to answer that question. I have a '76, but I think we have the same alternator.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:51 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: What is the amp rating of the stock altinator? Elec. fans + under (Dwayne 76)

I don't think the alt. pulley is the culprit, at least not on my underdrive set. The actual underdrive comes from the crankshaft pulley. It is smaller than the stock pulley, slowing all accessories down. Still if you were driving, the fans should not have downed your battery. Are the fans still running when you shut your car down. This might cause the dead battery
Old 08-18-2003, 09:33 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What is the amp rating of the stock altinator? Elec. fans + under (Eddie 70)

The fans are wired to shut off when the car is off. And they do. The under drive pully set I have came with an alt pully that is a bit bigger in diameter than stock, I figure the stock pully will pick up the rpm a bit. I guess there is also the chance that my battery is the problem. I was told that if your headlights get bright when you rev the car there may be a problem with the voltage regulator. I brought it to NAPA to be checked and they said it was ok.

BTW I can really feel an improvement in lower in torgue since I installed the fans with the underdrive pullies and the 1" spacer under the carb. I also installed the Edlelbrock Fuel/air monitor and it shows I am running to rich. Once I get it all dialed in its back to the dyno to see If pulled the numbers up.

I am currently at 233hp and 311 tq sae corrected.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:25 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: What is the amp rating of the stock altinator? Elec. fans + under (KJL)

The underdrive pulleys are not helping, but your main problem is probably your alt being too small. I believe a stock C-3 alternator puts out 60-80 amps max. How much do your fans draw. Cutting it off when not needed will help a bit.

I believe the stock alternator for a C4(dual fans) is around 120 amp.

Wish you were closer, I have a D.C. amp meter you just lay on top of the wire you want to measure current from, that would tell the tale.

[Modified by LAvetteman, 12:29 PM 8/18/2003]
Old 08-18-2003, 10:08 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: What is the amp rating of the stock altinator?

I think a stock 72 L48 alternator was 42 amp.

I also have the Spal fans. I installed a PowerHouse 110 amp alternator when I did the fans.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:29 AM
vettemack
Racer

Default Re: What is the amp rating of the stock altinator?

The amperage rating is stamped on the alternator by the part number. If you have AC, it is probably 61 Amps. If not, then 42A.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:40 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What is the amp rating of the stock altinator? (biltogo)

Thanks for the replies, I just purchased a 100 amp alt and Ultima battery from Summit.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:48 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: What is the amp rating of the stock altinator? (KJL)

Thanks for the replies, I just purchased a 100 amp alt and Ultima battery from Summit.
:seeya Keith that should do the trick.......Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To What is the amp rating of the stock altinator? Elec. fans + under drive pully = dead battery

Quick Reply: What is the amp rating of the stock altinator? Elec. fans + under drive pully = dead battery