C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plugging snorkels

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 03:12 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default plugging snorkels

I've done a bit of homework, and it seems like the cool t thing to do for my '73 is plug the snorkels and remove the cowl flap to ensure that all the air flow to the carb is under the hood via the space near the windshield.
True?
Any counter args?
So I can remove my cowl flap, since I don't think it is functioning anyway.
But what is the best/most-common/recommended way of plugging the snorkels? BTW, if I do this I'm thinking I should really replace the rubber seal around the air-filter, since it is a bit old an "weathered", and will be the seal against the hood for the new 100% air-flow path.
Comments from the "elders"?
Thanks! This forum has improved the running & performance of my toy ALOT in the last few weeks.

John.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:16 AM
Petes73
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: plugging snorkels (johnnybrewmeister)

Not sure of the best way. I took mine to a metal fabrication place and had the snorkels removed and a plate welded on to cover the holes. Still need to have it painted, and I'm going to chrome the cover this winter (I Hope)
Old 08-18-2003, 09:38 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: plugging snorkels (johnnybrewmeister)

I also wonder what cfm is for the stock 73 cowl and just how much hp it can support, anyone know? I also removed the flapper on my 73 since the cyliniod was not hooked up anyways :rolleyes: but do not have the stock cleaner/assembly. I will be switching to FI and want to figure out a way to run the air duct work through the cowl but am unsure whether it will flow enough to support 500 to 600 hp.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:44 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: plugging snorkels (Fevre)

I also wonder what cfm is for the stock 73 cowl and just how much hp it can support, anyone know? I also removed the flapper on my 73 since the cyliniod was not hooked up anyways :rolleyes: but do not have the stock cleaner/assembly. I will be switching to FI and want to figure out a way to run the air duct work through the cowl but am unsure whether it will flow enough to support 500 to 600 hp.
We had done some math on this awhile back (may need to check the archives) but believe that the cowl intake was able to supply only about 60% of the flow need for WOT operation. The ballance came from the snorkels. The channel down the hood is very narrow in top to bottom dementions which restricts the max flow. If you block the snorkels you could be starving the engine or it may be pulling air past the hood seal.
BTW, if I do this I'm thinking I should really replace the rubber seal around the air-filter, since it is a bit old an "weathered", and will be the seal against the hood for the new 100% air-flow path.
Comments from the "elders"?
John, without the hood seal the engine will not pull anything through the cowl vent. The path of least resistance is to just pull the underhood air.

tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 8:46 AM 8/18/2003]
Old 08-18-2003, 09:50 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: plugging snorkels (Tom73)

Thanks Tom, I figured it did not allow enough flow just from the looks of it. I might try to pull the stock cowl section and fab a new one plus increase the size of the opening at the windsheild base. I want to keep the stock look as much as possible, hard to improve on perfection. :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To plugging snorkels

Quick Reply: plugging snorkels