C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Question - Help !!!!

Old 08-18-2003, 12:46 AM
Tron79
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Question - Help !!!!

Can anyone tell me what might cause my 79 (350) to start quickly when cold, but do nothing but crank once it's warmed up?

I have about 500 miles on a fresh rebuild and I'm going insane trying to figure this one out. I let it get cold and it starts. Run it for ten minutes and try to start it - No Go... It cranks and after a few tries I smell gas, but it doesn't seem to be getting a spark.

Any thoughts??? Marc
:(
Old 08-18-2003, 09:17 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Timing Question - Help !!!! (Tron79)

Most likely it is flooding. Look closely down into the carb for any gas leakage. Try holding the pedal at full throttle to start.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:17 AM
80Xflags
Pro

Default Re: Timing Question - Help !!!! (wombvette)

Most likely it is flooding. Look closely down into the carb for any gas leakage. Try holding the pedal at full throttle to start.
:iagree:
Had the same problem with my carb when I got the car. It was running way too rich for whatever reason and I had much difficulty starting the car with a hot engine. After cleaning the carb, replacing all the seals, and tuning it up, the car started running much better.

:cheers:
Old 08-18-2003, 06:38 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Timing Question - Help !!!! (wombvette)

:iagree: You also may want to check to see that the carb isn't leaking fuel, but I don't know how to do that, maybe someone else will chime in...
Old 08-23-2003, 03:46 AM
Tron79
Intermediate

Default Re: Timing Question - Help !!!!

Thanks for the feedback. You were right!!! Since I don't know the Qjet too well and just couldn't figure this out, I took it to a local hotrod shop. There apparently was a spring missing off my choke and it would stick either open or closed. So, once the engine got hot, I was effectively trying to start the car with the choke on. Works great now - Thank you...

:cheers:
Old 08-23-2003, 04:35 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Timing Question - Help !!!! (Tron79)

Go get LARS paper in the CORVETTEFAQ section on setting up the Q-Jets or search the posts on adjusting the chokes. Chances are it is working but out of whack.

Get notified of new replies

To Timing Question - Help !!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing Question - Help !!!!