C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever heard of this happening to your ignition system Big Block 427

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 11:19 PM
TFranchini
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Have you ever heard of this happening to your ignition system Big Block 427

The other day, my 69 corvette always sits for a maximum of 2 weeks before I drive it again. This car always starts up the first time you turn on the ignition switch, then last week it took 4 tries before it started, then it was fine for the day, the next day the car was cold, tried to start it and never started.
BAttery fine, starter fine, fuel fine, carb fine, the ignition coil has resistance wires coming off it, well they are old and covered with absestos, I placed about two months ago, and I tell you I did it perfect, a new set of braided wires on the car, well after two months the heat from the resisitance wire and the braided wires made a arc, and the old resistance wire got so hot that it melted vacuum hoses which were near this wire
well, needed the car to run, replaced the hoses, do not know what they do? Anyone, and replaced the old wire with good grade regular wire, which the people at chevy said was OK, was wondering if it is OK, and if I should wrap with electrical tape?
anyone have this happen?
Old 08-18-2003, 08:46 PM
TFranchini
Instructor

Default Re: Have you ever heard of this happening to your ignition system Big Block 427 (TFranchini)

doesn't anyone want to respond if this happened?
Old 08-18-2003, 08:52 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Have you ever heard of this happening to your ignition system Big Block 427 (TFranchini)

Hasnt happened to either of my very non original ones.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

I'm really not quite sure what you're asking for.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:34 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Default Re: Have you ever heard of this happening to your ignition system Big Block 427 (Steve Straus)

I think I know about where you are talking about. I would guess that the vacum lines are HVAC related. For more information on the resistance wire, go to mallory.com and read the instructions for putting a mallory ignition on a big block chevy. You do not have to have a resistance wire per sey, but you need SOMETHING. You can use a balast resistor in its place. Once again the mallory website explains it fairly well. Apparantly if you do not have something there it will severly shorten the life of the (distributor or voltage coil, I forget what it connects to)
Old 08-23-2003, 12:48 AM
TFranchini
Instructor

Default Re: Have you ever heard of this happening to your ignition system Big Block 427 (BigBadOrange)

I had it go to the chevy dealer and they placed regular high grade wire in it's place
would that be OK
Old 08-23-2003, 01:06 AM
TFranchini
Instructor

Default Re: Have you ever heard of this happening to your ignition system Big Block 427 (BigBadOrange)

cannot find the mallory website, can you give it to me, mallory.com is aero and automotive
Old 08-23-2003, 10:29 AM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mallory is part of the Mr Gasket group. Go to http://www.mrgasket.com and click on Mallory.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:00 PM
TFranchini
Instructor

Default Re: Have you ever heard of this happening to your ignition system Big Block 427 (tsw71)

what type of mallory ignition would you place on a L-36 427 engine, the car right now is completely original, the resistance wires were replaced with high quality wires, the old resistance wires from the ignition coil were shorten out from the spark plug wires which are true repro, having the grounds which were touching these old resistance wires, so that wire was replaced with old wire and not resistance wire
so should I replace with a mallory and will it look original?
Old 08-24-2003, 12:39 PM
tsw71
Drifting

what type of mallory ignition would you place on a L-36 427 engine, the car right now is completely original, the resistance wires were replaced with high quality wires, the old resistance wires from the ignition coil were shorten out from the spark plug wires which are true repro, having the grounds which were touching these old resistance wires, so that wire was replaced with old wire and not resistance wire
so should I replace with a mallory and will it look original?
If your resistor wire is no longer there, you MUST run a ballast resistor. This will be the case for both stock points ignition as well as ignitions such as the Mallory unilite. If you decide to upgrade to a new setup, they will either provide you with a ballast resistor if it is needed or intruct you on what to use. If you are worried about stock appearance, then you will need convert the inside components to Unilite, Pertronix, or one of the other ignition setups on the market. Otherwise, you'll need an aftermarket distributor with the tach drive.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:51 PM
TFranchini
Instructor

Default Re: Have you ever heard of this happening to your ignition system Big Block 427 (tsw71)

the resistance wires are coming from the ignition coil and not the distributor
the question is if you replaced the resistance wire with regular wire will that be OK, it seems that the car is working fine
Old 08-25-2003, 11:30 AM
tsw71
Drifting

The voltage for the distributor is supplied by the neg terminal of the coil. In other words, the resistor wire regulates the voltage to the points even though it is connected to the pos side of the coil. The points will still work fine with a full 12 volts, but will most likely fail faster than they would with the lower voltage. As far as I know, the only purpose of the lower voltage is to increase the lifespan of the points. It will probably work OK................for a while :)
Old 08-25-2003, 12:01 PM
vettemack
Racer

69's do not use a ballast resistor. The resistor is located in the starter solenoid. The wire from the R terminal of the starter goes to the + terminal of the coil. The - negative side of the coil goes to the distributor. This are both just regular wires. As far as I know, there is no resistance wires other than the spark plug wires.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:30 PM
TFranchini
Instructor

Default Re: Have you ever heard of this happening to your ignition system Big Block 427 (vettemack)

The`wires I am talking about are coming out of the ignition coil :party:
Old 08-27-2003, 09:05 AM
vettemack
Racer

Does you car have transistorized ignition?
Old 08-28-2003, 03:01 PM
TFranchini
Instructor

Default Re: Have you ever heard of this happening to your ignition system Big Block 427 (vettemack)

if that was a option then no

Get notified of new replies

To Have you ever heard of this happening to your ignition system Big Block 427

Quick Reply: Have you ever heard of this happening to your ignition system Big Block 427