C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange noise in rear end

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 06:47 PM
rich(76)
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise in rear end

Hello,

I just bought a 76 stingray about 2 weeks ago. This past weekend I noticed a strange poping sound when letting off the brake pedal. Here is what happens,
When I come to a full stop and slowly let off the pedal I here and feel a loud poppong sound behind me. I t is so bad that the car jerks slightly. When I hit the gas after about 10 ft it clears up. It feels like maybe the calipers are not releasing, like they are grabbing.Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Thanks
Richard :confused:
Old 08-17-2003, 07:01 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Default Re: Strange noise in rear end (rich(76))

do a search on rear end posi noise. You find the first thing to do is drain the old oil out and put in new GM oil and 2 bottles of the GM posi additive. Do some figure 8's in a parking lot to get the oil in the clutches. You might also have some side yoke wear which could cause the yoke to hit the ear end housing. Change the oil first then see how it is.
Good luck,
gary
Old 08-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Ron 75 L48
Melting Slicks

Welcome to the forum. :D

You may want to change the differential fluid and be sure to add a bottle of the positraction fluid too. I also had the grinding noise but not the jerking motion that you have. When I changed the fluid and added the additive my problem went away.

Ron
Old 08-17-2003, 07:47 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are feeling a jerk, I don't think you are going to find any fix in a bottle. Another member recently posted the bolts coming loose that hold the ring gear. These bolts hit the inside of the case shearing the heads off and ultimately cracking the case. The popping may be coming from bad u joints at the trailing arm hub, a much easier and less costly fix.

Try driving the car slowly, perhaps weaving back and forth, with someone knowledgeable walking along side.

Chuck
Old 08-17-2003, 10:19 PM
rich(76)
2nd Gear

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will have a chance to look at tomorrow after work.

Thanks
Richard :)

Get notified of new replies

To Strange noise in rear end

Quick Reply: Strange noise in rear end