C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLASSIC CAR INSURANCE?

Old 08-17-2003, 06:25 PM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CLASSIC CAR INSURANCE?

ANY EXPERIENCES, PRO OR CON, WITH CLASSIC AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE
( http://www.classicins.com ) ? THERE RATES APPEAR TO BE ABOUT I/2 WHAT I'M NOW PAYING. THANKS, BILL
Old 08-17-2003, 07:58 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Default Re: CLASSIC CAR INSURANCE? (ZRWON)

One of the underwriters, Great American, is who I have used for years. Stated value policy, garage stored and limited use/miles. I just had to send in some pics when I first got the policy and they ask for the mileage each renewal. The policy suits me fine so it is a good deal, about $180/year. Never have filed a claim so I cannot vouch for how good they are when it comes to paying out.

Old 08-17-2003, 08:11 PM
Master Ho
Racer

Default Re: CLASSIC CAR INSURANCE? (PatG)

How many miles/year? Did they require an appraisal? What's your comp/collision deductible for that $180/yr premium?
Old 08-17-2003, 08:17 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Default Re: CLASSIC CAR INSURANCE? (Master Ho)

How many miles/year? [B]2500/B] Did they require an appraisal? no What's your comp/collision deductible for that $180/yr premium? 0
Old 08-17-2003, 08:19 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

postcount ++

don't try using other formatting tags in the quote thingy

[Modified by PatG, 7:21 PM 8/17/2003]
Old 08-17-2003, 08:20 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

postcount ++

[Modified by PatG, 7:20 PM 8/17/2003]
Old 08-17-2003, 08:35 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

The classic car insurance is a great deal if you are like many of us who only pull their vettes out on weekends. I use a completely different insurer(Hagerty) and just added my 2nd vette today. I've still got to send in pictures, which I will do when they call me at work tomorrow. It's completely hassleless and the one true bargain left in the insurance world that exists. Between the 2 vettes I pay $317(total) per year and have them insured both at over $15,000 each. State Farm(my insurer on my daily driver) looked at me like I was stupid to think they might insure a car for that.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:35 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: CLASSIC CAR INSURANCE? (PatG)

One of the underwriters, Great American, is who I have used for years. Stated value policy, garage stored and limited use/miles. I just had to send in some pics when I first got the policy and they ask for the mileage each renewal. The policy suits me fine so it is a good deal, about $180/year. Never have filed a claim so I cannot vouch for how good they are when it comes to paying out.
PatG, be aware that the insurance term, "stated value" is different from "agreed value". In general, you will have more problems getting paid the "stated value" than you would the "agreed value" in the event your vette is totaled. :) MJ
Old 08-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I have three cars on classic insurance. When I switch over it cut my insurance on them to only one fourth of what it had been, a 75% savings :D

But there are restrictions. The car must be 25 years old or older, not a driver, cannot drive it to work, must be stored in a locked garage, etc. I am with Hagerty and they do not have any milage limits, in some of the states they do not have a deductable, and they have their own road side assistance (only flat bed tows :) ). If you can live with the restrictions they are great.

tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 9:56 PM 8/17/2003]
Old 08-18-2003, 11:18 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Default Re: CLASSIC CAR INSURANCE? (bgrice)

State Farm(my insurer on my daily driver) looked at me like I was stupid to think they might insure a car for that.
I have State Farm on my 75 convertible. I used their classic insurance program and this is what I had to do:

1. Have either classic or antique tags
2. Appraisal for the cars value
3. Fill out State Farms classic ins. questionaire
4. Have agent take photos

My 75 convertible is insured for $20,000 and it costs me $86.00 for six months.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:22 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: CLASSIC CAR INSURANCE? (Corvette ED)

Slightly less then Hagerty. Their online system show $168/year for your car. Don't know about SF but Hagerty does not have a milage limit.

tom...
Old 08-19-2003, 12:25 AM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Default Re: CLASSIC CAR INSURANCE? (Tom73)

I checked Hagerty but the 25 year old requirement locked me out. My cars are a 1987 Cadillac Allante, 1987 Corvette Conv and a 1996 Collector Edition Vette. I now have a Quote from Great American that looks very good. There rates are more than 1/2 what I am paying State Farm for what I thought was their limited mileage Classic Car insurance. I plan to start with the Allante when the State Farm policy expires in Sept, IF, State Farm, can't come close to the $ 190 per year that I will get from Great American. If it works OK for the Allante then I will add the 2 Vettes in Jan when their State Farm policies expire. These three will cost me less than $1300 or less than 1/2 what I now pay State Farm. Sure wish I could get feedback on how they are with claims, appreciated value of the cars in the future, rate increases, etc. We also have a 1998 Cadillac Sedan DeVille that is our daily driver and will remain with State Farm as well as our home owners policy.
I sure appreciate all your comments and feedback on this subject. If State Farm changes my mind tomorrow I'll let all of you know.
Thanks, Bill :confused:
Old 08-19-2003, 02:33 AM
1Asterisk
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My mother said that she pays about 75 bucks per 6 months on her 64 Tbird.

I just hit that site up for an online quote on my eventually 1977 Vette.....Crossing fingers....

Get notified of new replies

To CLASSIC CAR INSURANCE?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CLASSIC CAR INSURANCE?