C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Panels, Lock Mechanism, Adjusting Window Glass & More!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 02:09 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Panels, Lock Mechanism, Adjusting Window Glass & More!

Okay, the door panel project is underway and I popped one off today to buid a parts list for Carlisle next week. So here come the questions...

Glass Adjustment
I assume to adjust the glass, you loosen bolts #1 and #2. Is there something else? My glass needs to come down some. The glass doesn't want to move. It appears these two bolts adjust tracks that the glass rides in and don't actually hold the glass. Could the tracks be seized up?

Door Panel Fasteners?
These things appear to be rivoted to the door. No biggie to pop them off but are they easy to get? I posted a question about these and somebody replied that theirs "snap" into place. Mine are rivoted. Their counterparts on my new door panels are rivoted too.

Window Felt
The new panels have the window rubber already installed and I just put a new outside piece on the door. There is one felt adjuster that pushes the glass out to keep it tight. Should I replace this too? Also, this doesn't hold the back of window tight, I'm surprised their isn't another one. Hmmm.

Duct Tape Again -- 300 points Bob...
See #4 in picture. This is a duct tape rolled to form a bushing. I don't think this is factory original...

Outside Door Handles & Lock Mechanism
The current lock mechanism has a problem. It engages the primary lock but the secondary doesn't always catch. (Door is closed but not all the way.) I have a new mechanism to put it here, but I am scared. There are a lot rods connecting to that sucker. It also seems rather tight working in that little space. If I drop something, well that'll be a real PITA. How hard any tips for this one?

Changing Cylinders
I guess this won't look so bad after the mechanism is out.

[Modified by Jack71, 2:09 PM 8/17/2003]
Old 08-18-2003, 01:22 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Door Panels, Lock Mechanism, Adjusting Window Glass & More! (Jack71)

Talking from memory, I can tell you a few things, but I have teenage daughters, so my memory is pretty toasted.

The Felts
Yes do the inside and the outside felts now. The inner felt isn't meant to push the window out, there are 2 rubber bumpers inside the top of the door that you can replace, and adjust to hold your window out at the proper pressure.

Adjusting the Glass.
You really need to get out your AIM. (assembly instruction manual)
There are (I think) four external adjustments, under the door panel, and two adjustments on top with four bolts each. If you remove the lower inspection panel, there are about 3 adjustments that you can reach through it. And there are several holes (above #1, and to the left of #2) That will allow you to adjust the upper stops, so your windows will not go to high, the lower stops are accessed through the inspection panel, and several holes along the bottom.

Please use your AIM to adjust your windows, I spent about 6 hours trying without the AIM. And about 1 hour with it.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:25 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Door Panels, Lock Mechanism, Adjusting Window Glass & More! (Desertdawg)

Like Dawg said...it's very hard to explain glass adjustment. On your pic, there are 4 adjusting bolts on the top of the door that regulate the "in and out" adjustment that you don't have numbered. MUST HAVE AIM..or the GM service manual.

Window glass anti-rattle felt adjuster....there should be two per glass. Fore and aft on door. Adjust after glass is positioned properly.
Eddie

[Modified by Silvr77, 7:28 AM 8/18/2003]
Old 08-18-2003, 08:46 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Door Panels, Lock Mechanism, Adjusting Window Glass & More! (Silvr77)

Changing the lock mecanism is not really all that bad. It helps if you can get your hands in there. You should probably look for some of those little clips that hold the rods in place just in case you break one of the ears off while remove them. I had problems with my old lock mechanisms and a good cleaning with some brake cleaner got 33 years of gunk off. Relubed with white lithium and now work great. As for the door locks themselves, make sure you go ahead and get the gaskets also because they do not come with the locks. It also helps if you have a long screwdriver or prybar to pull the retainers off of the locks. I put a prybar against the retainer and hit the prybar with a hammer and it knocked the retaining clip out so the lock could be removed. Installed the same way.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Door Panels, Lock Mechanism, Adjusting Window Glass & More! (Eddie 70)

Here are some instructions that were helpful to me. Make sure you do it in the order suggested.
http://www.71corvette.com/wt.html

Bob
Old 08-18-2003, 01:48 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Door Panels, Lock Mechanism, Adjusting Window Glass & More! (Jack71)

Glass Adjustment
I assume to adjust the glass, you loosen bolts #1 and #2. Is there something else? My glass needs to come down some. The glass doesn't want to move. It appears these two bolts adjust tracks that the glass rides in and don't actually hold the glass. Could the tracks be seized up?

The glass is attached and does not move, all adjustments are with tracks,etc. You should have a rubber stop in the top and bottom of each side channel(1&2 are the top attaching bolts). To stop the window from going too far up, move the top stops down a little.

Door Panel Fasteners?
These things appear to be rivoted to the door. No biggie to pop them off but are they easy to get? I posted a question about these and somebody replied that theirs "snap" into place. Mine are rivoted. Their counterparts on my new door panels are rivoted too.

Availabe from the big guys. All I have seen are rivited.

Window Felt
The new panels have the window rubber already installed and I just put a new outside piece on the door. There is one felt adjuster that pushes the glass out to keep it tight. Should I replace this too? Also, this doesn't hold the back of window tight, I'm surprised their isn't another one. Hmmm.

There should be two the back one only helps when the window is all the way up. These are anti rattle cushions mid america part # 602-019

Duct Tape Again -- 300 points Bob...
See #4 in picture. This is a duct tape rolled to form a bushing. I don't think this is factory original...

You can make a better one from the bottom half of a valve stem , available at any tire store for the price of bending over and picking them up.

Outside Door Handles & Lock Mechanism
The current lock mechanism has a problem. It engages the primary lock but the secondary doesn't always catch. (Door is closed but not all the way.) I have a new mechanism to put it here, but I am scared. There are a lot rods connecting to that sucker. It also seems rather tight working in that little space. If I drop something, well that'll be a real PITA. How hard any tips for this one?

Not hard. If you drop, use a magnetic screwdriver or magnet and retrive.

Changing Cylinders
I guess this won't look so bad after the mechanism is out.

Haven't done this.

[Modified by Jack71, 2:09 PM 8/17/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Door Panels, Lock Mechanism, Adjusting Window Glass & More!

Quick Reply: Door Panels, Lock Mechanism, Adjusting Window Glass & More!