C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 11:51 AM
piratemike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sealant?

I have a '72 Vette which needs tons of work. Anyway, I have the windshield out , checking the frame. The frame looks great so, I cleaned it up and repaired the area. At the top of the windshield, under the t-top moulding, there is a "trough" that had some kind of sealant in it. It was very thick and soft like putty. What is this stuff and what should I use as a replacement when it all goes back together.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-17-2003, 05:44 PM
keith72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sealant? (piratemike)

Mike,
That stuff's been referred to as "dum-dum". It never cures and is used as a filler/sealer for the t-top frame. I understand you can get it at most parts stores.

I'm also working on a 72 with my son. Check out the link in my sig, there might be some things that will help.

Old 08-17-2003, 05:52 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Sealant? (piratemike)

Pirate, I would use RTV black from a caulking gun at Home Despot...
make sure it's rubber silicone should harden and stick nicely....need clean up any rust down to bare metal....and fill with that.....lasts forever....stinks like vinegar...some sort of acid curing process....

GENE
Old 08-17-2003, 06:41 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Default Re: Sealant? (mrvette)

might be better using urethane instead of the silicon due to the acidic properties. I was advised by several metal building mfg not to use RTV on metal repair for this reason.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Sealant?

Quick Reply: Sealant?