C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They only sent 7 pistons!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 09:42 AM
robashard
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They only sent 7 pistons!

Just ordered the Summit chevy 350 rebuild kit which arrived here in the UK in 6 days which was great. What wasn't great was that they only sent me 7 TRW forged flat top pistons. They say someone must have removed one and my packer not noticed, and they'll send me another. The box, however, says, "Matched Set" on a tape seal that was broken. If this is such a big deal to label it that way, how can another random piston be OK. The say the batch will be the same and my engine builder will balance them individually.
Is this OK or are they avoiding having to send another complete set to the UK and pay for my 7 to be returned?

Any thoughts gratefully received.
Cheers, Rob.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:20 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: They only sent 7 pistons! (robashard)

Jeg's sent be an open box comprised of 3 different lots or batch numbers. :cuss I wasn't aware of the need for a "matched" set since this is my first total, top to bottom rebuild. Well when I dropped them of to the machine shop to have them attach the rods, the owner told me to send them back and get a "matched" set. I sent them back but had the engine guys order the correct matching set for me. They also saved me shipping charges and turned out to be about $30 cheaper!

This was about a year ago and the engine guys said that TRW was having problem recently......maybe it's Jegs & Summit who have the problems.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:22 AM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

I would explain to them that you are not satisfied and that a whole NEW!!! set should be shipped out in exchnge for the old set.

Tell them you're really :mad !!!

:smash:
Old 08-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

are you having it balanced anyway?
then use what you have.
i sent back a damaged piston, and the replacement was a little heavy, and they matched the weights.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:27 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Sounds like a good excuse to do a little balancing/blue-printing on your own here as shipping charges back and forth to the UK could be better spent elsewhere. An accurate scale to match all the weights within a couple of grams should be good enough. Just take the metal off the non-wear surfaces – leave the skirt and crown alone. The machine shop that bored my Pontiac block also honed each bore to match each piston individually (with each piston marked of course). That should be good enough for a street machine. :thumbs:
Old 08-17-2003, 03:39 PM
robashard
Heel & Toe

Default Re: They only sent 7 pistons! (cardo0)

I don't think I should be paying those costs anyway!!! And end up spending more at the engine builder to overcome someone else's mistake. Summit say, however, that it'll all be fine and it's the size that is important, and that the builder should balance them anyway.
I go back to my original question,-why put, "Matched set" on the box if it makes no difference to sling another one in.
There must be an engine expert out there that knows one way or the other if this is ok or I'm being fobbed off.

Cheers, Rob.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:55 PM
phxraptor
Burning Brakes

:confused: Ok so if your burned one piston and tore your engine down to replace it would you buy a whole new set or just one. ;) :cheers: :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To They only sent 7 pistons!

Quick Reply: They only sent 7 pistons!