C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydroboost experts I need your help (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 11:20 PM
Chucks76
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydroboost experts I need your help (long)

Ok let me start by saying that this is not on my Vette but is on an 86 dually that I picked up cheap to make my new tow rig. It came with no motor or trans. So the lines to the powersteering pump were left open for I dont know how long(with no hood on). I put a motor in, hooked everything up and the powersteering started squealing really loud after 15 or so minutes. Figured it was the pump(it was very hot) so I bought a new one and put it on. Started it and the same thing. It acts like something is back pressuring the system because it will force fluid back out the resevoior(SP?) When I turn the wheel(only a half a turn, thats as far as it will go) something almost locks up the pump. I can then stop the motor, spin the pump backwards and it frees it back up. Ive heard that it could be the gear box, but that the hydroboost unit doesnt really go bad. Ive bought new hoses but will be out of town till next weekend. I've got an 83 sitting beside it with a unit on it that I could swap if necessary. I jacked up the front end and turned it back an forth with the motor off and it did that fine. HELP!
Old 08-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Chucks76
Racer

Default Re: Hydroboost experts I need your help (Chucks76)

Anybody?
Old 08-17-2003, 12:34 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Are you sure you have the hoses in right order? The heat indicates that there is lot of pressure created that might be going in wrong line.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:53 PM
Chucks76
Racer

Default Re: Hydroboost experts I need your help (groovyjay)

I did swap the two return lines and it didnt make a difference. Its pretty obivous(at least I thought it was) where the pressure line came from. I could be wrong however.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:07 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If I had to guess, I would say that the pump is spinning the wrong way. Are you adding power steering to the motor that you are installing?
Old 08-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Chucks76
Racer

Default Re: Hydroboost experts I need your help (71coupe)

I am using a power steering set up from a diesel motor set up that I just happened to have laying around. I did replace the pump with a new one though. I thought that all v-belt power steering pumps ran clockwise. Is that not right? That does make sense though. The brakes are fine, if that makes any difference. I'm just at a loss right now :banghead:

Get notified of new replies

To Hydroboost experts I need your help (long)

Quick Reply: Hydroboost experts I need your help (long)