C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new C3 owner needs a little advice on tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 05:06 PM
marcus.md
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new C3 owner needs a little advice on tranny swap

I have a'76 L-82 4spd. i am about to replace the clutch witha borg-warner b/c the old one's toast. but.... i am starting this post b/c i'm hoping to make a little tour between Austin, TX and Summerland Key, FL next spring break (mid march). my current tranny/drive gears have my rpm's really high when i'm doing highway speed (~70 mph).
what would be a good tranny to replace my close-low 4spd? i'd like to get better gas mileage, obviously. i've been looking @ trying to pull an LT-1 out of an early camaro that has the attached 6spd manual.... anythoughts? someone on this site had suggested a 5spd w/overdrive... can someone give me some info on where i could get one? i'm a student... so money's tight, but i love that car!

I figure that while i'm swapping the tranny, it might be worth the trouble (time & money) to go ahead and do a complete engine & tranny swap. Any suggestions on what engine to get? what year camaro would be the easiest to do previously mentioned swap? i'm open to all ideas. thanks
Marcus Minchew
Austin, TX http://www.marcus.00freehost.com/myvette1.jpg
Old 08-16-2003, 05:17 PM
marcus.md
Navigator

Default Re: new C3 owner needs a little advice on tranny swap (marcus.md)

this is kinda what i'm thinking.... would it work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33615
Old 08-16-2003, 05:52 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Marcus, first off welcome, second off, anything shipping that weight from NY to you is expensive....so much so i'ts not worth it....

second off the cheapest way to do what you want is installing a 200 4r automatic tranny....and that's not all that difficult, just time consuming....
cheapest was I can think of to get an overdrive in action....
the stick shift trannies are so expensive because of rarity....even today, they are twice the price ...even more....

and that does not include install/shifter..etc....

GENE
Old 08-16-2003, 06:02 PM
marcus.md
Navigator

Default Re: new C3 owner needs a little advice on tranny swap (mrvette)

gene, thanks for your help. but i am not interested in installing an automatic tranny. maybe i'm just confused. the motor on ebay is $250 shipping, or $275... something like that. but.. that's the whole shabang for $2500 or less. i thought that was a good deal, but then again, i'm new to this.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:04 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Check out keislerauto.com. It will give you some ideas and pricing.

Get notified of new replies

To new C3 owner needs a little advice on tranny swap

Quick Reply: new C3 owner needs a little advice on tranny swap