C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off-Frame Vs On-Frame Restoration

Old 08-16-2003, 04:15 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Off-Frame Vs On-Frame Restoration

My car is an original Florida Car that has been restored on the frame. There are just a few minor things left to do before painting and it will be very near perfect.

But it has not been off the frame. This sorta nags at my soul because Off Frame Restoration indicates the car is completely restored.

So, the only part of my car that has gone unretsored is that portion of the top of the frame that the car sits upon.

There is no rust whatsoever! But somehow in my mind the car takes a backseat to an Off-Frame car.

So, what do you think? :skep:
Old 08-16-2003, 05:33 PM
keith72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Off-Frame Vs On-Frame Restoration (OHSIXX)

I'm doing a frame-off on a 72 coupe. I've found that you can repair/replace everything you could with the body on. Its just a lot easier to work on stuff with the body off.

I'm no authority on collector value or NCRS stuff, but to me it doesn't matter as long as the car's in good shape.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:41 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

OH6, aren't you the fellow with the white '72?? that came over here one day and I installed a pass side mirror and some other minor things???

if so, I remember that car pretty well, and it's clean as can be, if you have any rust problems, I"d be surprised, and see NO reason to be concerned one damn bit....

I think you need relax and just have fun with it....

some day after we are gone, that car may need body off restoring, barring the unmentionable...but in fact NOW is not the day.....

GENE
Old 08-16-2003, 05:42 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Off-Frame Vs On-Frame Restoration (keith72)

You are SO much like me. Man, Just the thought of not cleaning the top of the frame was too much for me to bear also.

Like Keith said, if it looks great now, it probably isn't worth it to take the body off. It just makes everything easier.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:15 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other guys are right. It's a lot easier to fix/replace everything when the body is off; but if has already undergone a frame-on restoration, and there isn't any rust anyway, then don't bother. It's a lot of work.

DRIVE IT AND ENJOY IT!
Old 08-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I agree, if there is no rust then there is no real reason to lift the body. The frame on my car was solid, the birdcage was solid, the body mounts undamaged, so why lift the body? I couldn't come up with any reason other than that it would be a whole lot easier to repair, replace and repaint parts that needed it. Looking back at the hours I spent on my back and the tons of dirt and grime I enhaled and ate while cleaning and repainting my frame, maybe I should have. :D
Don't worry about it!
Old 08-16-2003, 08:36 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: Off-Frame Vs On-Frame Restoration (Smokehouse69)

Okay about the bircage . I'm not to sure where it's all hiding - behind the body panels? I know redwingvette just replaced his lower channels but how much else is there to worry about? I know those lower channels hold the body on the frame but wouldn't the body remain stable without the rest - until an accedent I guess? :confused:
Old 08-16-2003, 10:25 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Off-Frame Vs On-Frame Restoration (cardo0)

On frame , frame off what difference does it make to a buyer? They only know what they can see and if it is clean and soild that is what counts. If the top of the frame is a little dirty it will not effect the resale price of the vehicle. As a matter of fact truly original cars that have never been off frame or restored are the most valuable from a collector standpoint.

Once you start to restore the quality of the restoration is what is most important rather than the extent of frame on or off.

Get notified of new replies

To Off-Frame Vs On-Frame Restoration

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Off-Frame Vs On-Frame Restoration