C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well the 700R4 is toast.....Crap

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 01:56 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Well the 700R4 is toast.....Crap

Tried to limp my way to the tranny shop today and went about 1 mile before she toasted. I'm so sick of this.... No forward or reverse. My tranny shop sucks. I guess I will be pulling tranny and all in the next couple of weeks. This may be my time to make a total 180 on the 78. :mad :mad :mad
Old 08-16-2003, 03:11 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Well the 700R4 is toast.....Crap (Budman78)

Sorry to hear that Budman, but if you can find under tranny in the YP's maybe you can find a parts source...go there and buy the book by Auto Trans Service Group....down the road from me in Miami....ti's a copy of the factory GM leterature, with maybe some tips....

I swear, the things are just not all that critical or hard to overhaul....
just check some clearances, and replace Beau coup O rings and clutches, and such....I wonder if the pump and or that 'shell' survived...that shell is huge tulip looking thing about 5-6" diameter, 4" deep, and has a narrow lousey designed neck on it...with tulip rings for interlocking another clutch pack....it's the one the band wraps around....

when you take it apart have a CLEAN large work bench and a good size tranny pan to catch all the oil.....

course maybe it's something simple with the shift linkage internal to the tranny....that input lever from the shifter is hard to get that link into the brain pistons that slide back and forth....
gotta drop the pan anyway to drain it, so might as well check that while you in there.....

how's the fluid color????

OH BTW, typical Ohaul parts kits with converter are about 250 bux....

GENE
Old 08-17-2003, 12:54 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: Well the 700R4 is toast.....Crap (Budman78)

:iagree: Yes it’s very hard to find a good and honest trans shop. Just went through a $500 survey of four shops (including the dealer) for a trans leak on my truck. My once favorite shop (now my X-favorite trans shop) wanted to replace for $2,000. Dealer said R&R to replace all seals for $700. Found a truly professional shop 45 min. away. Inspection, testing and fix was for just a bent dipstick tube at the o-ring seal - charge only $125.
Always get a secound estimate/opinion and hang in there Budman.

Get notified of new replies

To Well the 700R4 is toast.....Crap

Quick Reply: Well the 700R4 is toast.....Crap