C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help buying a parts washer...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Skyhigh82
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help buying a parts washer...

Looking for a part washer with a recalculating pump. Can someone tell me what’s the difference between water-based cleaner and non? Right now I just use paint thinner in a metal pan. I heard that you can use kerosene but not sure how well that cleans grease, although it’s probably cheaper. I don’t really want to spend over $100.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:01 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Help buying a parts washer... (Skyhigh)

I believe it's mainly a safety issue why the cleaner manufacturers recommend the water based cleaner. I don't see why any of them would have problems pumping kerosene or paint thinner. Kerosene is usually what I use in a steel pan, works great. Harbor Freight usually has some cheap prices on those washers. The real problem is what do you do with the dirty cleaning solution when it's time to change it? I think if I ever did get one I would use a company called Safety Clean for my solution and rely on them to deal with the old stuff on an exchange basis.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:12 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Help buying a parts washer... (Skyhigh)

Sky, I use a butcher block counter top about 6' long, from an old Kosher kitchen tear out, lady wanted Corieanne....fine with ME....it'a a 22x25 single bucket sink with corner drain....at one time I had a recirculating pump into a 5 gallon bucket of cleaner, but now a daze, I just use the rubber stopper and fill by hand, and then place bucket back under....it's all sitting in the shop over some stainless bar cabinets, and a steel drawer base...

thing is, a standard single bucket kitchen sink is deep enough , and large enough to put in a cylinder head for cleaning, so I have never had any problem with it.....gives plenty of counter space work area....
you might go try some counter top manufacturing places....laminate shops, one of their installers on a remodel job will be glad to give you a top off a job if you haul it.....it don't have to be pretty like mine, just functional....

GENE
Old 08-17-2003, 10:36 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Help buying a parts washer... (Big Fish)

BigFish, You might do a search on "Safety Clean" and read about all the law suits they are having to defend because they used benzene in the solvent they sold. "Benzene" is a great cleaner but it does funny (permanent) stuff to the human body!! ...redvetracr

Get notified of new replies

To Help buying a parts washer...

Quick Reply: Help buying a parts washer...