C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help concerning leak around gas tank.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 07:09 AM
stingraymax
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Need help concerning leak around gas tank.

Hi,

I have a 1975 corvette, I was just getting it out of the garage to go for a spin when I noticed that there was fuel leaking from beneath the car at the passengers side. If I look beneath the car it looks as the fuel is comming from the top of the tank, and I think it must be a leak in a fuel line at the top of the tank because when I turn the engine of the leak stops so...
I try'ed looking for a leak thru the fuel refil lid at the to but can't see anything so I will have to remove the tank.

Can somebody tell me if there is a way to get to the tank (the easy way)Or how do I get to the top of the tank, do I have to take the tank from underneath the car and ifso how do I do that ?????

Any help is welcome,

Old 08-16-2003, 10:39 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Need help concerning leak around gas tank. (stingraymax)

Pull your tank and inspect and freshen up the area. You may find your build sheet still on top of your tank. Remove and save carefully, very important document for your car.

First remove spare tire and carrier, then drop one muffler, then tank. It will take some time, but is a good project.

[Modified by LAvetteman, 9:40 AM 8/16/2003]
Old 08-16-2003, 11:37 AM
stingraymax
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Need help concerning leak around gas tank. (LAvetteman)

Thanks for the reply, now I can start working.
I found out that it is one of the two fuel lines that go up the gas tank from the frame that leaks.
So now I can drop the tank and inspect it.

If I drop the tank do I have to be carefull with other cables or wires that wight break when I drup the tank ??

Old 08-17-2003, 01:11 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Need help concerning leak around gas tank. (stingraymax)

When you drop the tank, lower the passenger side first and try to pull it down and out in that direction.

There's a plastic valve on top of the drivers side that is hosed to the vacuum canister. When you have the tank partly down, disconnect thsoe hoses or you may inadvertantly break the plastic valve nipples. Replacements cost about $100.

While you have everything down and out, replace each and every hose with new, and you may as well replace the gauge sender and sock.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:06 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Need help concerning leak around gas tank. (biltogo)

Siphon the gas tank DRY. Gas weighs about 5 lbs/gallon. Lots of extra weight to cope with, plus the safety issue. Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To Need help concerning leak around gas tank.

Quick Reply: Need help concerning leak around gas tank.