C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 383 Rod Knock???? OH NO!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 12:26 AM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New 383 Rod Knock???? OH NO!

Before I go off on a huge rant or something here, I think I'll just post my problem and maybe it will not seem so bad after a few replies... So most of y'all probably know that I finally got my AR 383 fired up a couple days back. Well, I noticed a small knocking noise yesterday that I *THOUGHT* was just my exhaust pipe bumping the cross member since it was loose... Today the knocking noise is quite loud and is almost definitely coming from the oil pan, I think maybe the #2 cylinder, but I can't be sure about the exact cylinder, just that it sounds like it's up front near #1 or #2, or maybe #3, or #4... Anyhow, it sounds like a "clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk" that is in time with the engine firing. It is quite loud at this point. I replaced the header gasket on the passenger side since the one I had was leaking. The sound didn't change even though that leak was gone. I retorqued the header flanges as they were both loose, the sound stayed the same. The sound is coming from the oil pan, nearly certain. What do I do???? I'm going to try calling the builder tomorrow, but don't expect him to be in on the weekend. Would I be able to find anything if I pulled the pan?

Please help, this is not a happy weekend for me. I was trying to work on the brakes so I could cruise around next week. At this point, I don't really feel like spending any more time on my car as my luck continues to suck more with each day. :cry :cry :cry
Old 08-16-2003, 12:39 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: New 383 Rod Knock???? OH NO! (dath)

Surely not a spun bearing on your new AR?!??! That would be a large suck!! Especially after all you went through this past week. Hopefully you won't need it but it does have a warranty, right?

Brett :thumbs:
Old 08-16-2003, 01:09 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I want say something and try not to upset you as I realize how much effort you made here.
But with crate motors you never know when a cheap rod bolt gets slipped in just to make the schedule. Or did the new hire use torque increments to final torque and even know why? Even GM has their problems. Seems like some businesses sell a motor all sealed up just to hide what’s inside. Now the local machine shops have bad days too but they have a local reputation to worry about.
We’ll wait to find out what kind of guarantee AR stands behind. Thanks for your posting.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:21 AM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe your timming could be off slightly? I know that can cause some knocking or pinging. I hope thats all it is. If it helps any, I have always heard good things about AR's support and I think they will stand behind there work.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:23 AM
dath
Burning Brakes

Default Re: New 383 Rod Knock???? OH NO! (cardo0)

Brett: Thanks for the sympathy man. Things have just been bad luck for me with the Vette since the start. I think it's cursed :rolleyes: Some days are definitely better than others...

cardo: To be clear here, I'm not bashing AR at all. I am asking for help here as I'm not certain what I'm hearing. I'm no mechanic, I just try to do my best with the knowledge I have and hope everything works out. I'll *WILL* let everyone know what happens with this.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:36 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Damn man that truly sucks, I feel for you. I'd call AR see what they suggest and go from there. Certainly keep us posted.

:cheers:
Old 08-16-2003, 01:44 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

a triple, how the heck did that happen :crazy:

[Modified by gdh, 1:49 AM 8/16/2003]
gdh
Le Mans Master

what the 'ell, I just had this post 3 times, erased # 2& 3 :crazy:

[Modified by gdh, 1:51 AM 8/16/2003]
gdh
Le Mans Master

Have you changed your oil since this noise got worse, with a new engine you'll likely to find some metal in the filter, open it up to see how much. How old is your carb, is there any chance it is leaking gas and washing your cylinder walls out - will do your crank/bearings and more in in no time. Check those 2 things first and am sure that many more members will join in to help once a little more info is relayed to them. I am sorry to hear of your problems, nothing more frustrating at times but don't give up. I as well have only heard good things about AR, contact Olivier (GrandsportC3) his is an exceptional engine and he has spoken very highly about their customer service.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:49 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

dath....

Let things sit and talk to Mark. You seem to be rushing to much. After you cranked it up was the oil pressure there to continue burning in the cam?

cardo...

Your remarks of engine builders hiding(in italics) problems is uncalled for until dath finds out the truth. What kind of support is that to help out? I don't find it amusing and just gives me reasons to not post my problems with my AR engine(should I have any) as I might get the same crap answer.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:37 AM
SharkBit
Racer

Default Re: New 383 Rod Knock???? OH NO! (bgrice)

check your rocker arms, they could be loose, ive had it happen on mine, they tap and it sounds just like a bad bearing...worth a try
Old 08-16-2003, 02:37 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: New 383 Rod Knock???? OH NO! (bgrice)

Sorry bgrice but I did say it wasn't intended to upset him. And I don't mean to upset anyone else having problems getting thier engines on line. Guess I should say I'm thankful you guys are posting the problems so the forum stays aware.
My car has been down for nearly two years and this forum has been a great place for encouragement while a great informational source. :)
Old 08-16-2003, 04:56 AM
Brutus
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: New 383 Rod Knock???? OH NO! (cardo0)

Even tho my engine is a basically a standard one (so far), on 2 occasions I've experienced a "knock" and traced it to the sump being tightened too much after my first engine clean up attempt where I also decided to tighten up any bolts that needed it. Apparently the crank was kissing the sump at some point. The second was when I "contacted" a speed hump with the sump, again causing the knock from down below. Fortunately I was again able to back off the sump bolts whereupon the "knock" disappeared. Btw, my sump is some after market chrome job that probably doesn't have the best clearances built in.
Anyhow this may have no bearing on your problem, but I just thought I'd mention my experiences and hope that yours are as easy to remedy. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:06 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: New 383 Rod Knock???? OH NO! (Brutus)

Hmmm could be the counterweights hitting the pan....

Or try pulling the spark plug wire on #2 and see if it goes away. If it does :cry:
Old 08-16-2003, 09:01 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your rockers as suggest first then if that isn't it, pull your oil pan before you run it again. Check the oil pan rails for signs of the rod hitting any falshing that might not have be clearenced. Then pull the rod caps and check the bearings for damage. I had a similar thing happen with a 383 and best I can tell is the company, Speed-O-Motive, did not grind the flashing down for rod clearence and the rod hit the flashing.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:29 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: New 383 Rod Knock???? OH NO! (Fevre)

Go through the paces. Check compression, etc. Drive it if possible. A rod will feel very metallic and the sound very deep. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:22 AM
dath
Burning Brakes

Default Re: New 383 Rod Knock???? OH NO! (427V8)

Hmmm could be the counterweights hitting the pan....

Or try pulling the spark plug wire on #2 and see if it goes away. If it does :cry:
You saying if I pull the offending cylinder's plug it should go away? I forgot to mention that I pulled each plug wire and the sound never went away... The noise is definitely worse now than it was originally as I didn't really notice the noise originally.

Get notified of new replies

To New 383 Rod Knock???? OH NO!

Old 08-16-2003, 11:46 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Dath -
If it's knocking, shut it down, and yank it back out.

I just finished tearing down and inspecting an AR engine. I'm not at all surprised you're having problems. More info to come depending on response from AR to our issues...
Old 08-16-2003, 11:50 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: New 383 Rod Knock???? OH NO! (lars)

Dath -
If it's knocking, shut it down, and yank it back out.

I just finished tearing down and inspecting an AR engine. I'm not at all surprised you're having problems. More info to come depending on response from AR to our issues...
Yikes you know what they say if it sounds too good to be true it usually is............ :eek: :eek: Their prices are extremely cheap for big horsepower
Old 08-16-2003, 12:01 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: New 383 Rod Knock???? OH NO! (Corey 68)

Damn man that truly sucks, I feel for you. I'd call AR see what they suggest and go from there. Certainly keep us posted.

:cheers:
:withstupid:

Mark Lim is very good to deal with.. I hope that everything will work out!!
I'm still satisfied with my engine... 8k miles and 50 drag strip passes and no problems so far...

Quick Reply: New 383 Rod Knock???? OH NO!