C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power outage just cost me the Vette for the weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 09:40 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Power outage just cost me the Vette for the weekend.

I know it's not all that bad compared to what has probably happened to others but I was supposed to get my Vette back today with a new clutch installed, instead I drove by the shop and it was closed.

I would like to know what group of brain surgeons decided to connect all the power grids on the eastern seaboard together so, in the event of one going down all the rest of them would shut down too. I am not a expert on this but it is just common sense that you would want to set it up so that if one section has a failure it would not affect the all the others.

My take on this is that it must have to do with money, now that most of these power grids are operated by private companies.

They must have hooked everything into one central control hub so they could buy and sell power to each other easier and in doing so set up the conditions for this mess that should not have happened.

The green guy here has more sense than those morons --------------->>>>>
>>>
Old 08-15-2003, 09:56 PM
mg62
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Power outage just cost me the Vette for the weekend. (MotorHead)

Wayne, I feel your pain. Sorry your car's out of commission for the Wasaga weekend. I also can't go, though for different reasons.

But I think the power inter-connectivity thing is more complicated than that. The reason the grids are connected is so that when NY State runs low, it can call on Ont. for some back-up, and vice versa, without state or provincial residents being subject to intermittent blackouts, brownouts, short, long, etc.

Back in the old days, before the grids were as connected as they are now, power outages were way more common, way more frequent. Remember? One of the prices we pay for that is the possibility of a major system-wide failure.

It'll probably turn out to be Cleveland's fault.

:D
Old 08-15-2003, 11:43 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Power outage just cost me the Vette for the weekend. (MotorHead)

Wayne if you want a ride up Sat. morn.with me I'm heading up early. Got back from the hosp to late tonight to go up to Wasaga and the bonfire at Cyndi's camp. Both Mike's just barely made it up here before they ran out of gas, 1bad69 said he saw the sock in his tank and must have had a few quarts left, Rag75 was just as close from what he was saying.
As far as the power outage - I think that your father would have a lot more insight into the reality as to the hows and why's than the political rhetoric that we are being fed from CBC and CNN.

[Modified by gdh, 11:49 PM 8/15/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Power outage just cost me the Vette for the weekend.

Quick Reply: Power outage just cost me the Vette for the weekend.