C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 05:06 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Default Dash Restoration

My tach was inop in the 75 convertible, so I thought it would be a good time to replace it along with some other items. I removed both pillar post trim, the map pocket panel, top dash pad, and the speedo/tach panel cluster.

I removed both the speedo and tach from the pad. I also removed the bezels, the headlight switch, and the air vents.

Now with a bare left side dash panel I scrubbed it down on both sides and let it dry in the sun. After it was dry I primered it with Corvette America interior dye primer. I then sprayed it with the medium saddle interior dye. It looks like new.

I took the tach apart and installed a new tach board and centered the needle. I polished the speedo/tach bezels and masked them off and refinnished the black with semi gloss paint. I cleaned the clear lenses.

I installed a new nos headlight switch and bezel. Next I took apart the vent and cleaned and installed a new chrome ball and seals.

I reinstalled everything back into the dash panel and it looks brand new. I installed new radio speakers in the top dash pad. Since everything was out I pulled the speedometer cable out of the case and lubed it. I also replaced all of the dash bulbs. I also replaced all the underdash headlight hoses while it was apart.

Now it was time to reinstall everything back in the car. I got a interior screw kit from Corvette America and install all new correct screws back into the dash.

Now my tach works, my dash lights are real brite, and the pad looks new.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:11 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Dash Restoration (Corvette ED)

Cool, lets see some pics.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:12 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

ED, the ONLY thing I can think of is to take the speedo completely apart and overhaul the ENTIRE unit, but if it's working right in cold weather, or previously maintained/rebuilt...you'r fine....

sounds nice, wish I was all that organized a few years ago...but...well.....me and the cars are getting older too....unfortunately I"m ahead of them in the points count....

GENE
Old 08-15-2003, 05:18 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Default Re: Dash Restoration (mrvette)

The speedometer works fine, the cable was dry and I lubed it.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:23 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Sounds like you did it right. I have been doing a similar program on mine. It certainly is worth doing it all while you are in there and then you won't have problems later. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Restoration

Quick Reply: Dash Restoration