C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centerforce 2 pressure plate FYI

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 02:10 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centerforce 2 pressure plate FYI

Just some FYI for those who are looking for a new clutch, pressure plate. I put a Centerforce 2 setup on my BB last year and have some vibration since new. We discovered that the pressure plate was out of balance, partly because of the weights that move to put more pressure on the clutch. We removed them ,then balanced the plate , then put them back on and it made a big difference. I called Centerforce and they have had tons of complaints about the same thing. The vibration is almost totally gone now, and it seems this was a major reason for the trouble. My 2 cents worth.....
Old 08-15-2003, 02:26 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Centerforce 2 pressure plate FYI (467-Ratman)

Did they state whether they have corrected the problem or are offering to fix them for customers?
Old 08-15-2003, 03:52 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Centerforce 2 pressure plate FYI (Fevre)

:nonod: I've been very pleased with mine and would consider a purchase from them in the future. I hope they are actively correcting this :confused:
Old 08-15-2003, 05:09 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Centerforce 2 pressure plate FYI (Fevre)

I really like the way mine performs as well, very little pedal effort and has strong positive action. They did not say if they are working on a fix for it , but I would say the way to deal with the balancing is what we did, remove the weights , balance then put them back on.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:23 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Centerforce 2 pressure plate FYI (467-Ratman)

I have a couple of questions and an observation :

1) Isn't the pressure plate balanced from the factory ?

2) How did you balance it ?

3) You have a defective part what did CenterForce offer as compenstaion ?

Observation :I am going to be one PO'ed hombre if mine has any problems, just cost me over a grand to have installed. I would not want to be the customer service rep at the other end of the phone, hey forget that I'll drive to the plant. :mad
Old 08-16-2003, 11:17 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default Noisy CF DF question

Well, as long as we're discussing Centerforces I have a question. My car idles nice and quiet while it's cold. As soon the car warms up I start hearing a noisy chatter from the clutch area. When I depress the clutch the noise goes away. I made sure that my gearshift linkage was well lined up (shifts beautifully), installed a new throwout bearing, adjust the pivot nut, I can see that the throwout bearing isn't rubbin on the clutch, and as I mentioned before, it is quiet until the drivetrain warms up. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of now is that my tranny output shaft might too long and is putting pressure on the drivetrain when the car gets hot.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:53 PM
Daniels
Advanced

Default Re: Noisy CF DF question (carriljc)

Carriljc,
I had a similar problem as the one you describe a coulple of years ago with a Triumph Tr-6. When the clutch was disangaged and the pedal just slightly pressed, a little vibration and an unnormal sound could be noticed. When the clutch pedal was fully pressed, that vibration and sound dissapeared. Turned out to be a worn trust washer on the crankshaft support... On the TR-6 it was easy to verify that, since there was enough space to move the crankshaft forward and backward and check the axial tolerances. Who knows, could be something similar, anyway good Luck on your search.

Dan :thumbs:

[Modified by Daniels, 11:54 AM 8/16/2003]
Old 08-16-2003, 01:00 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Centerforce 2 pressure plate FYI (MotorHead)

MotorHead, I assumed that the plate was balanced too, but I guess not. The first attempt at balancing was done with the weights in place and obviously did not work. Centerforce did not have any other suggestions to solve the problem, other than they were aware of it and did not seem to think it was serious. After balancing it now, I can tell you there is a big change for sure. Other than the vibration, I have been totally satisfied with the performance on the Centerforce unit.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:39 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default Re: Noisy CF DF question (Daniels)

Thanks Dan, but I recently changed the engine and the noise remains.....so I remain perplexed....I'm running out of ideas so don't think that I don't appreciate any input. I think I'll check the tranny output shaft length check. How much play should it have going in and out of the tranny?

Get notified of new replies

To Centerforce 2 pressure plate FYI

Quick Reply: Centerforce 2 pressure plate FYI