C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reasonable price for new paint job???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 12:56 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Reasonable price for new paint job???

If I do some of the prep work, or all of the prep work. What should I be looking to spend on a new paint job.

I know it depends on the paint. I'm thinking of the mulsane blue or equivalant blue for '69.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2003, 01:04 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Reasonable price for new paint job??? (vvv90)

Stripping the old paint chemically can be done with about $100 in materials.

Paint materials (primer, sealer, surfacer, base, clear, reducers, etc will cost in the neighborhood of $500 to $800 depending on which paint line you choose.

If you can strip, prime, and block the car yourself you'll save big $$$ on labor. That also assumes that you can find a painter willing to shoot over prep work that he did not do himself. If you can find a painter like this, expect to pay him between $500 and $1000 to spray the car.

That is the route that I took. You can check out my website for more detail. It's in my sig

Shannon
Old 08-15-2003, 01:14 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Default Re: Reasonable price for new paint job??? (sb69coupe)

Wow! That sounds like an aweful lot of work.

How much should I be looking to spend if the car just has the trim, bumper, windshield, carpet, lights, etc.. removed?
Old 08-15-2003, 01:20 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

No such thing.

Sorry, just had to say that. :lol:
Old 08-15-2003, 01:37 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

My personal opinion is that a "scuff-n-shoot" paint job is a Bad Idea (tm). You never know what lies under the old paint and how it may react with the new stuff going on top. The paint job will only look as good as the surface that it goes on. If you're going to repaint it, do it right.

Now, if you really want to go this route, what kind of prep are you going to do? If you're just doing the disassembly and reassembly then you have to factor in the labor of sanding, priming, blocking, then shooting the paint. Probably in the $2500 to $3500 range for a paint job with quality materials, excluding any body work If the old paint is in pretty good shape, no cracking or lifting, you may get away with taking this route.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:03 PM
vvv90
Race Director

I agree. I do want it done right. The car I'm thinking of buying has already been taken down to glass. he said the one door need to be "glazed" or "gelled" or something like that :confused: then primed and then paint. He said the good thing is is that you can see what you're getting into.

I didn't want a project, but a 69 vert mechanically sound that needs paint, carpet, front chrome bumper and door skins for $9,000 doesn't sound too bad. here are some pics.

Old 08-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

No offense, but based on just those two photographs, I do not see a $9,000 vehicle there. That car needs a lot of work and you'll end up pouring much more into that car than you would if you bought a more complete vehicle.

My car doesn't have a big block, metal bumpers or a soft top but it is complete. I'd take much less than $9,000 for it.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:26 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

The owner is probably referring to "gelcoat" on the door. Not sure why, since these cars were not gelcoated from the factory.

I agree with Neo Fender, this car needs lots of work. That's an incorrect steering wheel, it has a long style hood from a '73+ and it looks like the fenders have been built up to match the hood near the windshield. The center console looks like it's been hacked up along with the center gauge bezel.

Most of all, the side frame rail looks rusty. Granted the quality of the pics is pretty bad, but this car ain't in such great shape. Have you seen this car in the flesh?
Old 08-15-2003, 02:33 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Default Re: Reasonable price for new paint job??? (Neo Fender)

None taken. Let me give you more info.

The wheels are only there for painting. It's got stock rallye wheels in good condition.

All the trim, windshield, and chrome has been taken off the car and that's why it looks bare.

It needs carpet

The soft top is supposedly in "Mint" condition

The motor is 1000 miles since rebuilt w/ ~400 HP.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:38 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 146 Likes on 128 Posts

Depends on a lot of things you can spend a little and get a little or drop some money and get what you pay for ....Or you can befriend a Bodyman(I took the latter) :rofl:
Old 08-15-2003, 02:47 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Have you seen this car in the flesh?
Not yet.

I figured if I pay $9000 for the car plus $200 for the carpet, (live with the door skins for now) $500 for front bumper $700-$800 for hood, $2500 for paint, $400 in tires.

I can have an Excellent condition 69 vert for $13-14k.

Does that sound right?

I know you mentioned that the frame rail looks rusty, but I'm pretty sure it's just the orange paint he said that was orginal on the car.

[Modified by vvv90, 1:50 PM 8/15/2003]
Old 08-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Yes but once you begin doing these things and begin tearing into the car, that's when the "while I'm at it" and "didn't know this was broke" things begin to pop up.

Rule of thumb: take what you think it will cost to restore a car and double or triple that figure.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

I would suggest that you have $20,000 set aside and a lot of time to work on the car as well as a place to do it. These old cars take alot of time and money, the return is great and pride of ownership is hard to beat. The rule is buy from someone who has spent the money and sweat and needs out. Cars are only worth what the market will stand. Even if you buy a great complete car you will need to spend and work on it. There will always be something to fix and that part is fun. Watching you money leave can be hard to swallow.

Just my thoughts. Take your time and keep looking. There are penty of them out there and some for sale on this forum.

Good luck and ask plenty of questions. Many of us have been there.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:04 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 146 Likes on 128 Posts

Have you seen this car in the flesh?

Not yet.

I figured if I pay $9000 for the car plus $200 for the carpet, (live with the door skins for now) $500 for front bumper $700-$800 for hood, $2500 for paint, $400 in tires.

I can have an Excellent condition 69 vert for $13-14k.

Does that sound right?

I know you mentioned that the frame rail looks rusty, but I'm pretty sure it's just the orange paint he said that was orginal on the car.

[Modified by vvv90, 1:50 PM 8/15/2003]
For 2500 I doubt the paint job will be sppectacular unless you help do a lot of the work

I know you mentioned that the frame rail looks rusty, but I'm pretty sure it's just the orange paint he said that was orginal on the car. :skep:
Old 08-15-2003, 03:20 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Reasonable price for new paint job??? (Alwyn678)

If the car is so great why does he want to sell it? :skep:

BTW, just in case you don't recognize it you are getting a lot of negative feedback from people who know corvettes. I would keep looking. For example, when I bought my car the seller said it needed nothing; I have since spend about $10K on the car.

:skep:

[Modified by OHSIXX, 3:21 PM 8/15/2003]
Old 08-15-2003, 03:23 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Default Re: Reasonable price for new paint job??? (Milest)

I would suggest that you have $20,000 set aside and a lot of time to work on the car as well as a place to do it.
I know I'll probably end up spend more than I anticipate but $20k :skep:

The rule is buy from someone who has spent the money and sweat and needs out.
See, I kinda thought that's what this car was. The mechanicals have all be done, and it's been taken down to glass for the final step of restoration. Not to mention the interior, but that's not going to be my biggest expense anyway.

Just my thoughts. Take your time and keep looking. There are penty of them out there and some for sale on this forum.
I have looked and the problem I'm running into is all of them out there are a lot more that need a good paint job anyway and aren't as far along as this car is as far as prep work is considered.

I'm trying to be as rational and objective as possible. The last thing I want to do is waste my money, but I still don't understand why you guys are bashing the car so much. Have you ever seen a car that looked good stripped and prepped for paint? :skep:

[Modified by vvv90, 2:25 PM 8/15/2003]
Old 08-15-2003, 05:00 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

The last thing I want to do is waste my money, but I still don't understand why you guys are bashing the car so much. Have you ever seen a car that looked good stripped and prepped for paint? :skep:
Because many of us have thought along the same lines as you are now, and already gone down that road. Without seeing the car, I can pretty confidently say this. By the time you actually have the car "done", you will have spent much more money, put in a lot more hours, and have a lot more pent up frustration, than you are probably planning. It could end up being a very nice car, but you will probably end up in it a lot deeper than you want. The best bang for your buck is to buy one that is already finished. Good luck. :cheers:
Old 08-15-2003, 05:14 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

I see you are just down the road from me (in St. Charles). Boyle's Body Works is just finishing up the final touches on the paint job for my 75, I think it's going to go about $4500.00. He had to do an awful lot of body work including repairing some loose door skins and fitting both fiberglass bumpers. I also went with a 2-stage paint which is expensive and an extra step with labor. The car was not totally stripped, but he applied 2 coats of sealer, 4 base coats, 2 tint coats, and 4 clear coats. After wet sanding and buffing the car looks like a mirror! If you want to see the quality of work he does, I would suggest stopping by to see the car within the next week or so. He's in the 200 block of North 5th Street (North of route 64, west of the river). If you decide to have Boyle do your car you must be patient, it won't get done real fast. He has had mine since the first week of May, and uses the project for fill-in work. His biggest money maker is insurance jobs which must get done on a more timely basis.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:15 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Default Re: Reasonable price for new paint job??? (The_Dude)

Based on the two photos of this car, I think any good body shop would want at the very least $5,000 to do that car.

Get notified of new replies

To Reasonable price for new paint job???

Quick Reply: Reasonable price for new paint job???