C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Detail Tips and Tricks...please.

Old 08-15-2003, 11:21 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Detail Tips and Tricks...please.

Hi all, many on here have some gorgeous engine bays and motors..was just wondering if you guys could share some of your detailing tips for the motors and engine bays...thanks in advance for all the helpful info!! :hurray:
Old 08-15-2003, 11:28 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Re: Engine Detail Tips and Tricks...please. (81' Corvette Guy)

Simple Green & lots and lots of rags :lol:
Old 08-15-2003, 11:34 AM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First you have to go to a local hand carwash and use the pressure hose on the engine. But make sure you cover the carb and distributor so you dont get water in them. Also take a few cans of engine degreaser and use before and during use of the pressure washer. This will give you a clean surface to work with and make the job much easier. You can go to your local auto parts store and get a can of engine detailer. Its kinda like armoral for the engine. You use it on all black plastic and rubber, it will shine it up and give it that always wet look. At this point you get the "while im at it" bug and start buying lots of chrome parts and a bunch of other stuff you dont need. :D
Old 08-15-2003, 11:34 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Engine Detail Tips and Tricks...please. (wcsinx)

Pulling the engine was a huge help. Painting the engine bay was key due to GM's overspray habit.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:35 AM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Engine Detail Tips and Tricks...please. (wcsinx)

Gunk engine degreaser from walmart, gunk window cleaner(for all the plastic), 303 aerospace protectant(in place of armour all and i am going to try wheel acid next to shine up my carb and manifold.

edit* dont use the simple green on the alluminum, if you are unsure what metal is alluminum try to stick a magnet on it, if it doesnt stick then its alluminum.

[Modified by battsup, 8:37 AM 8/15/2003]
Old 08-15-2003, 11:42 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Engine Detail Tips and Tricks...please. (battsup)

Gunk engine degreaser from walmart, gunk window cleaner(for all the plastic), 303 aerospace protectant(in place of armour all and i am going to try wheel acid next to shine up my carb and manifold.

edit* dont use the simple green on the alluminum, if you are unsure what metal is alluminum try to stick a magnet on it, if it doesnt stick then its alluminum.

[Modified by battsup, 8:37 AM 8/15/2003]
I second that, it left a bunch of sand like crude behind where I didn't get it rinsed fully. Something to do with the Simple Green being high in alcolyds (sp?).
Old 08-15-2003, 11:47 AM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Engine Detail Tips and Tricks...please. (Fevre)

I also here its too corrosive on alluminum, i was reading some posts in car care and the simple green put indent in the alluminum and even seeped through somewhere!!
Old 08-15-2003, 11:52 AM
76Stinger
Burning Brakes

All good suggestions but the main ingredient is you must be willing to spend the time, lose skin and blood from fingers and knuckles, and be prepared to repair all the things you knock loose. :rolleyes:

There are some excellent products that help tremendously - the manifold dressing is great for rusted mainfold and other rusted steel. There is also a rust converter that turn rust into a very hard, epoxy-like surface. I have used them both.

Repeating myself - elbow grease is the best tool. Be careful of the car wash as sometimes the high pressure can knock off hoses and wires and you don't find out until too late.

Good luck and keep us posted.

STW :seeya
Robert
76Stinger

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Detail Tips and Tricks...please.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Detail Tips and Tricks...please.