C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparing your own car against other forum members'

Old 08-14-2003, 10:07 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Comparing your own car against other forum members'

The "3 things wrong with your car" post got me thinking. And that's a dangerous thing :D

I've noticed that when I look at pics of other members cars I think to myself "dang, their car looks so much nicer than mine!". Maybe it's because I know each little flaw on my car, and pics usually hide the small details when you're viewing them. Regardless, I find myself thinking about how much better looking all these other cars are than my own.

Anyone else do this? I mean, I get lots of compliments on my car, and I'm right proud of the results of all my hard work. But looking at pics here just seems to rub me that way. I don't feel it so much at a cruise-in when I'm looking at cars "in the flesh", so it must just be a forum thing, right?

:confused: Shannon
Old 08-14-2003, 10:13 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Comparing your own car against other forum members' (sb69coupe)

Nope. :D

OK, sometimes, but not the perfect cars. The ones that make me dissatisfied are the serious HP cars, like Monty's. All that pretty chrome and go-fast!

JB
Old 08-14-2003, 10:16 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never seen another vette nastier looking than mine on the road, let alone on this forum. So I will never dare compare it to any here, but you know what? When I start to feel bad about the way it looks, I go drive it, and very quickly the looks don't seem to matter. It's just sooo fun to drive! :D
Old 08-14-2003, 10:20 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Comparing your own car against other forum members' (76Frankenstein)

I try not to compare but just admire all the beautiful c-3's........ Hey they are all beautiful, some are faster than others and some are shinier but underneath they are all the car that I fell in love with as a kid. :seeya
Old 08-14-2003, 10:20 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I was at a show once before I owned my Vette and met an old man that was showing his pride and joy and he said something that I'll never forget. I was much younger and had little money at the time,and I guess I implied I'd never have a car as nice as his.He said "Just set your sights and stick to it,and you'll get whatever it is you are after."

Now mine is no prize winner with ripped seats and worn carpet,but every mod I've done has braught this car a little bit closer to my goal.Some of the setbacks have made me concider giving up and selling it,but then I remember the old man's words,and keep on holding on to my dream.

Old 08-14-2003, 10:26 PM
John D.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My plate says it all. Its R 71 and we love it. It is not flaw free but we still love driving in it. We kid each other that if we put a new paint job we (Me) would probally not drive it as much and were we do in fear of chipping the paint job.
I would love a perfect car but would be worried sick leaving it along at a show or cruise night.
I bought this to enjoy and the flaws some day may or may not get fixed.
Just keep having fun with it. :seeya :chevy :hurray:
Old 08-14-2003, 11:04 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Comparing your own car against other forum members' (John D.)

Well, looks like this is something I need to deal with, since I'm the only one who does this........

:leaving:

:D
Old 08-14-2003, 11:08 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Well, looks like this is something I need to deal with, since I'm the only one who does this........

:leaving:

:D
Don't worry.....be happy. :chevy
Old 08-14-2003, 11:11 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Comparing your own car against other forum members' (gq82)

Don't worry.....be happy. :chevy
Jerry, you are one of the worst offenders. I absolutely love Steel Cities Grey, and your car looks just awesome. :cheers:

Seriously, it's not that I'm unhappy with my car. I'm tickled with it and love it to death. If I could just wrap up this "winter project" and drive the dang thing..... :D
Old 08-14-2003, 11:12 PM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

over in C5 general, tons of guys freak about driving their cars in the rain, etc etc. i bought my cars to enjoy, and enjoy them i do.

now, i DO have to remind myself when my 68 gets a rock ding that some of you probably have them, too, and i just can't see them in the pics! :lol:

speaking of which..........any experience here with using cleartastic for stopping the chips? cuz i'm certainly not stopping driving at excessive, i mean appropriate, highway speeds. :D
Old 08-14-2003, 11:24 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Seriously, it's not that I'm unhappy with my car. I'm tickled with it and love it to death. If I could just wrap up this "winter project" and drive the dang thing..... :D
Hey I hear you...my car was off the road pretty much for the first year I owned it. I know it does get frustrating at times but hang in there, in the end it will be worth it!! :chevy

[Modified by gq82, 11:24 PM 8/14/2003]
Old 08-15-2003, 12:13 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

sb69coupe...

I went through your restoration project and you have alot to be proud about. There are some seriously nice C-3's on this forum, but you and I know they just didn't happen. Alot of time, sweat & money goes into making a 30 year old car look that good. My kudos goes out to those who are willing to go to that perfection to go from frame up to get what they want. I find them as an inspiration, but have no aspirations to ever take that route. But, when I am thinking of doing something to improve on my projects this is the best place I could ever look and the best people by far who will go out of their way to help. That is rare these days.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:16 AM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Comparing your own car against other forum members' (bgrice)

my car looks like azz compared to 95% of the cars I've seen on this forum...
Old 08-15-2003, 12:16 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

Jerry, you are one of the worst offenders. I absolutely love Steel Cities Grey, and your car looks just awesome. :cheers:
OK, I change my vote. There is ONE perfect car I envy--I've admired your car since you bought it, Jerry. First pic you put up, I thought, DAMN but that's a nice vette.

Fess up--you've put a few scratches on it somewhere since you bought it, haven't you? :D

JB

[Modified by JB, 11:18 PM 8/14/2003]
Old 08-15-2003, 12:28 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Comparing your own car against other forum members' (JB)

the only one I actually compare to is Pat with the other electron blue car here.

It seems that every Idea I think of, Pat beats me to it and ends up looking awesome and I dont do it because I dont wanna copy him.

thats one of the reasons I put the stripe on the hood.. so the C3ers can tell the difference :lol:
Old 08-15-2003, 03:30 AM
88'Cubka
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Comparing your own car against other forum members' (Corz)

When Gkill rolled up to my house in his vette.......all I could think was.......damn my car is a POS..... :lolg:
Old 08-15-2003, 08:20 AM
gq82
Safety Car

Default Re: Comparing your own car against other forum members' (JB)

OK, I change my vote. There is ONE perfect car I envy--I've admired your car since you bought it, Jerry. First pic you put up, I thought, DAMN but that's a nice vette.

Fess up--you've put a few scratches on it somewhere since you bought it, haven't you? :D

JB
Thanks JB....No scratches yet but as we all know, no car is perfect. ;)

Get notified of new replies

To Comparing your own car against other forum members'

Old 08-15-2003, 08:48 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Comparing your own car against other forum members' (gq82)

My car is far from being nice, but I keep doing little things that help to make it a little better. My goal is for it to be one of those cars that is as nice as I "think" everyones elses car is.The best form of therapy is just going out and getting in the car and just going for a nice little cruise through the country. Just too bad we don't live closer together, you could get a closer look at mine and you would be really proud of yours.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:06 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

You’re not alone. I do the same thing. I guess in my case it's the insecurities of a amateur. Trying his hardest to get it right with out spending a fortune.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:23 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Maybe it's because I know each little flaw on my car, and pics usually hide the small details when you're viewing them.
You hit the nail on the head Shannon. It is because you did all of the work and know where things didn't quite turn out the way that you wanted them to. I have the exact same problem. Although my car is not near finished I have had tons of compliments from friends and family of how good my car looks. When I tell them that I painted it in my garage and it was my first ever pait job they usualy are awe struck and tell me how impressed they are. :bb I even got an amazing compliment from the one person I never expected, My Dad! He is not a car guy at all and usually feels that old cars are a waste of money.

Usually when I get these kind of compliments it is all I can do to not start the yea but's. You know, yeah it looks good but this is wrong or that or I wish I would have done this or that.

I think that the old saying is true, I think it goes, "You are your toughest critic". My only advice is be proud of what you have accomplished and think to yourself that it may not be perfect but you did it yourself and didn't have someone else do it for you.

In the words of Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor, "If you didn't build it, it ain't yours" :D

Oh and BTW your car looks great and thanks for all the help you have given me on mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Comparing your own car against other forum members'