C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting advice needed!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 09:02 PM
my74ls4
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Painting advice needed!!!!!!

I am finally getting ready to paint my 2 1/2 yr old project 74 coupe and need a little advice. I sanded it down to the fiber glass and have applied a epoxy primer sealer. Nason brand. I started to sand it with 220 and it is tough stuff. I thought that I got all the imperfections out but there are a few dimples about the size of a BB and 1/4 as deep. Should I fill them before I spray a primer/filler or will a primer/filler take care of them? If I need to fill them before spraying would Evercoat be a good choice? And finally do I need to keep sanding the primer until there are no shiny spots ? I'm thinking the sanding of the primer/filler will take care of these low spots. I can't feel any of the low spots and I sanded all of the guide coat off. Whats your thoughts?
Old 08-14-2003, 09:07 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Painting advice needed!!!!!! (my74ls4)

Definitely fill in the small imperfections with filler before spraying the surfacer. Evercoat is good stuff, it should work well. Sanding the epoxy to such a fine level isn't needed if you're spraying the primer/surfacer over it. Just make sure there's a good scratch on every area, then spray the next primer. Sounds like you've got it well on the way to a nice looking paint job. 90% of a paint job's quality is in the prep! :cheers:
Old 08-14-2003, 09:13 PM
my74ls4
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Painting advice needed!!!!!! (sb69coupe)

SB,
I've painted my 81 Z28 and noticed a few things wrong that I don't want to carry over to the vette. The Z28 turned out great though and I get compliments on it all the time. Back to the primer/filler though I've read several posts on the PPG K36 and it sounds like good stuff. I also read a post somewhere that said not to wetsand it as it holds water and can ruin your paint job. Has anyone else heard of this? Are there any other brands that anyone can recomend?
Old 08-14-2003, 09:19 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this you'll get all the answers you need
http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?index

One thing they will tell you is to pick one brand and stick with it. if you use dupont epoxy then you should stick with Dupont products through to the topcoat.

Steve :steering:

[Modified by stpman, 9:21 PM 8/14/2003]
Old 08-14-2003, 09:46 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say don't wetsand it if you plan on shooting the paint within a few hours after sanding. Otherwise, don't worry about it. Leave the car out in the sun to dry and you'll be fine.

I personally used Sherwin Williams line of products and was very pleased with the results. Any paint line from a name brand manufacturer will be fine as long as you use their products from start to finish as designed.

Shannon
Old 08-14-2003, 10:26 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Painting advice needed!!!!!! (sb69coupe)

I agree with the above post to fill the deep imperfections before applying surfacer. You can use a poly putty or any 2 part filler. Nason makes some good urethane primer surfacers as well. Good luck, Craig

Get notified of new replies

To Painting advice needed!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Painting advice needed!!!!!!