C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Door Locks Sticking/Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 04:06 PM
SicChild
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Door Locks Sticking/Stuck

Well, my door is closed and locked, and I can't open it. The passenger side door look keeps sticking and now i can't get it open. It's locked shut. When the press the unlock door switch it moves, but can't seem to move far enough to lock the door. Also, when I try unlocking it with the key, the key won't turn all the way, it's almost to the point of breaking the key off in the lock. Before when it did this I would just apply some fluid-film/WD-40 and then play with he switch a few times and it'd losen up, but now that doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas what might be causing this and how to fix it with he door locked shut?
Old 08-14-2003, 04:13 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Power Door Locks Sticking/Stuck (SicChild)

You apply the fluid to the switch?

Open the door up, spray all the moving mechanisms and your life should be easier.

-Steve
Old 08-14-2003, 04:17 PM
SicChild
Racer

Default Re: Power Door Locks Sticking/Stuck (Pacin'California)

You apply the fluid to the switch?

Open the door up, spray all the moving mechanisms and your life should be easier.

-Steve
No, I put the window down and then sprayed what I could. I'd take the door panel off and do a good job, but that's my problem. I can't get the door unlocked so I can open it and take the panel off.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:20 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

When you get your door open you might want to remove the door lock mechanisms and clean them with some carb cleaner to remove the old gunk that has built up in there over the years.
As far as the doors not unlocking with the key, this happened on mine. What it turned out to be was the door lock itself. There is a soft metal edge that wears and doesn't allow the mechanism to turn far enough. The fix for mine was new door locks. It doesn't seem like it was all that expensive to buy new locks.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:25 PM
SicChild
Racer

Default Re: Power Door Locks Sticking/Stuck (Eddie 70)

Is there anyway to get the door open from the inside without using the powerdoor lock switch? ...
Old 08-14-2003, 04:46 PM
Yeller81
Instructor

Spray a GOOD dose of WD40 down the outside door handle . It may just get on the Mechanism and free things up . Push the handle all the way down and spray the hell out of it . Then if the door will open take the panel off and clean it all up in there . That is what I did to my 81.
:steering:
Old 08-14-2003, 06:42 PM
SicChild
Racer

Default Re: Power Door Locks Sticking/Stuck (Yeller81)

does this big metal panel come off, or am I wasting my time? how do I get to all the locking mechanisms behind it?

[Modified by SicChild, 6:22 PM 8/14/2003]
Old 08-14-2003, 07:23 PM
SicChild
Racer

bump
Old 08-15-2003, 04:38 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Is there anyway to get the door open from the inside without using the powerdoor lock switch? ...
There should be ***** on the inside of your armrest. Pull them out.

Maybe the previous owner(s) had them "repaired" at one point, and the ***** were hidden inside the door. In this case, you'll need to unscrew the armrest (3 screws) and fish the **** out. It's a brass arm, should have quite a fair amount of play. Threaded end for a chrome door pawl. Anyways. pull that "out" and then towards the front of the car to unlock the door.

-Steve
Old 08-15-2003, 04:56 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be ***** on the inside of your armrest. Pull them out.

Maybe the previous owner(s) had them "repaired" at one point, and the ***** were hidden inside the door. In this case, you'll need to unscrew the armrest (3 screws) and fish the **** out. It's a brass arm, should have quite a fair amount of play. Threaded end for a chrome door pawl. Anyways. pull that "out" and then towards the front of the car to unlock the door.

-Steve
:iagree: Also, the main problem is probably the power door lock actuator shafts have crud all over them. Normally the shaft have a lame type of dust boot that covers them, they degrade with time and after getting WD40 on them and they almost turn into a black gummy sticky muck. This crud on the shaft make it very hard for them to go in and out. That's what I found out
after replacing mine. Yea, key almost wanted to bust before replacing them.
HTH.
:seeya
Old 08-15-2003, 08:38 AM
CHEESERAL
Racer

Default Re: Power Door Locks Sticking/Stuck (DMONSVETTE)

There is also an adjustment on the rod attached to the outside door handle that pushes on the latch mechanism. If there is any presure on that latch the door will not unlock. That was my only problem, I could lock and unlock the door all I wanted but nothing would change until I adjusted that rod and all was fine. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Door Locks Sticking/Stuck

Quick Reply: Power Door Locks Sticking/Stuck