C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good places to find used C3's???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 11:58 AM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Good places to find used C3's???

Don't say here, I know :jester :p:

I did a google search and found some places with REDICULOUS prices. The only other good places I found were yahoo and car.com
Old 08-14-2003, 12:18 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Good places to find used C3's??? (vvv90)

I tend to go overboard when I do something, but what I did was do a google search for newspapers and "bargain papers" (Thrifty Nickel, Greensheet, etc) for cities and towns in about a hundred mile radius. Most of them have online classified sections. I ended up with about 2 dozen of 'em. I bookmarked 'em and checked every day. Narrowly missed some very good deals by being a little too slow on the gun.

However, when I did buy my '69, I bought it right here, on the forum. :D

JB

[Modified by JB, 11:22 AM 8/14/2003]
Old 08-14-2003, 12:46 PM
coldwarrior2000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Good places to find used C3's??? (JB)

try here
http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/index.html

and hemmings
Old 08-14-2003, 12:59 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Good places to find used C3's??? (coldwarrior2000)

http://www.vettefinders.com :D
Old 08-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Good places to find used C3's??? (vvv90)

Well, here's how I did it. I was looking for an '80 or '81, low miles, original, 4-speed only, no mods, no wrecks. The typical collector-type sources were all way overpriced. Seems like every idiot out there thinks their Corvette is rare and valuable, and they're just not.

So I contacted all the sources that I thought might come into play, but that were not Corvette-only or collector-car businesses. Basically, that boiled down to a lot of Chevy dealers across several states, and a few large multi-brand dealers that might tend to get a Corvette in as a trade. I like the Chevy dealers because they don't tend to put artifically high prices on used Corvettes. And they tend to take really foul trade-ins straight to the auction, rather than keep them on their lot where they would show the Chevy brand in a bad light, so, usually, a used Vette on a Chevy dealer's lot is a better car. At least, that has been my experience.

I simply sent (by e-mail or fax) them a one-page summary of what I wanted, with my name, phone number, and e-mail address. Those guys just printed my page and posted it on their bulletin boards as a reference. I must have contacted over 30 dealers. I got 3 or 4 calls right away, from dealers that had cars that were not what I wanted. Like a guy called from Texas with an '80 that had only 10K miles, and an automatic trans. It was out of some guy's collection, sold from an estate auction. Wanted $20K for it. I said no thanks.

Finally, I got a call from Chesrown Chevy in Denver. They had what I wanted at close to a fair price. I told the salesman that I would buy a plane ticket to fly over there, and if he was misleading me about the condition of the car, he would buy me a ticket home. He agreed. I flew over, bought the car, drove home the same day.

By the way, I limited my search to the dryer western states because I wanted a car without rust problems. Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, west Texas, eastern Oregon, southern Idaho.

Good luck! :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Good places to find used C3's???

Quick Reply: Good places to find used C3's???