C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers and Fan circuit.... Common problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 10:42 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers and Fan circuit.... Common problem?

Someone on the forum told me that a poor ground will make the wipers/heaterfan operate wonky. Well i have always had that problem. The fan is running slowly when i have the switch off, and sometimes my wipers jsut don't work. IT's an unfused circuit, and it was drawing .3Amps with the car off and key off. so i just disconnected it at the harness (by the distrib) anyone have any sugestions why it would do that, i wiggled the connections and checked the grounds....
Old 08-14-2003, 01:05 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Wipers and Fan circuit.... Common problem? (bloodvette80)

Out of that harness down at the starter somewhere is a ~10 ga black wire with a 3/8 dia loop on it,....it does NOT go to the battery post on the solenoid....it goes to ground, it's a ground wire for the wiper, fan relay, and fan motor, and as such everything will run funky and have lousey airflow, and such IF i'ts connected to positive.....

ME, I pulled mine up top and rewired the entire circuit for both units, and individual 10 ga ground wires to the intake manifold up top....NO MORE freaking confusionism as to where that ILL DESIGNED wire goes....

GENE
Old 08-14-2003, 02:42 PM
80Matt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wipers and Fan circuit.... Common problem? (bloodvette80)

mrvette,

I recently had a new engine put in, and the wipers and fan haven't worked since. I suspect that I might be a victim of this problem. Wiring is not my strong suit, though.

How is the wiring supposed to be exactly? How will I know if I am wired to positive down at the starter? How did you rewire it up at the manifold?

Thanks for the help!

Matt
Old 08-14-2003, 02:48 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Wipers and Fan circuit.... Common problem? (80Matt)

80Matt, sorry for my somewhat vague memory, but I rewired my entire car for both reliability and changes over 2 years ago..and so I forget the exact routing of that ~10 ga black grounding wire....it does belong under a starter mounting bolt or bellhousing bolt is about all I can say,.....NOT under the battery cable post...mean +12.....

As one of MY things, I rerouted allmost all the wiring and redid everything in site for simpliticy and such...of course I also eliminated all that starter neutral start and other gummint crap, and EPA stuff....but of course there is closed loop computer DPFI in there too, so it's really cleaner than any stocker....

I"d just pull it back through the harness, and connect it up top, and tape it up so it's not confused again....OR reconnect it to ground, and trust your memory....

GENE
Old 08-14-2003, 03:05 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wipers and Fan circuit.... Common problem? (mrvette)

that black wire on my car is definitely going to gnd, i checked that first thing and fan still runs at a very low speed. I don't really car because i disconnected it, but it bugs me that it doesn't work.

Get notified of new replies

To Wipers and Fan circuit.... Common problem?

Quick Reply: Wipers and Fan circuit.... Common problem?