C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BUILD SHEETS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 09:14 AM
abnormal_vetter
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BUILD SHEETS?

I have a question regarding corvette build sheets. obviously tank stickers were left on all corvettes 67 onwards. But my question is, when were copies left up inside the dash or other places? and is it true that L88 cars had them on their springs?
Also, where do i go, or who do i contact to get a hold of the dealer and zone numbers that are on tank sheets?

Thanks for your time

Travis
Old 08-14-2003, 10:01 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: BUILD SHEETS?

...obviously tank stickers were left on all corvettes 67 onwards. But my question is, when were copies left up inside the dash or other places? and is it true that L88 cars had them on their springs?
Travis,

The build order copies that you refer to were placed at different locations as the car moved down the assembly line to help the line workers identify various options required for that particular car. Most were thrown away when they were no longer needed, but others remained with the car. The "tank sticker" was simply another copy of the build order... Because it was glued to the fuel tank, it was rarely thrown away or removed (which is why it is almost always present if the original fuel tank is still in place). Sometimes, additional copies were left with the car, although it was not the usual practice to do so. Such alternate locations included the forward frame rail, under the dash (typically between the speedometer and tachometer), and under the rear storage insulation. They have also been found in other locations as well, but as noted, this was not standard procedure.

Also, where do i go, or who do i contact to get a hold of the dealer and zone numbers that are on tank sheets?
There are several websites including NCRS, Team Chevelle, and Team Camaro that have a searchable zone/dealer feature. These sites typically have zone dealer information that has been forwarded by individuals who have a build sheet, window sticker, or other documentation. While not comprehensive, you might still get lucky and find a zone/dealer that has been previously submitted.

The following is a comprehensive list of zone numbers attached to the corresponding zone name/corporate office which should be accurate for most late 60s - early 70s applications. If you don't have any idea where the car was sold originally, but DO have the zone and dealer numbers, then this should help you narrow the search somewhat. Keep in mind that some zones covered a very large geographical area while others were quite small.

01 - Flint (MI)
02 - Tarrytown (NY)
03 - St. Louis (MO)
04 - Minneapolis (MN)
05 - Kansas City (KS)
06 - Oakland (CA)
07 - Dallas (TX)
08 - Atlanta (GA)
09 - Norwood (OH)
10 - Denver (CO)
11 - Chicago (IL)
12 - Buffalo (NY)
13 - Pittsburgh (PA)
14 - Baltimore (MD)
15 - Philadelphia (PA)
16 - Charlotte (NC)
17 - Memphis (TN)
18 - Des Moines (IA)
19 - Portland (OR)
20 - Los Angeles (CA)
21 - Janesville (WI)
22 - Louisville (KY)
23 - Oklahoma City (OK)
24 - New Orleans (LA)
25 - Indianapolis (IN)
26 - Jacksonville (FL)
27 - New York (NY)
28 - Cleveland (OH)
29 - Omaha (NE)
30 - Houston (TX)
31 - Birmingham (AL)
32 - Cambridge (MA)
33 - Fargo (ND)
34 - San Diego (CA)
35 - Newark (NJ)
36 - Salt Lake (UT)
37 - Richmond (VA)
38 - Great Falls (MT)
39 - El Paso (TX)
40 - Charleston (WV)
41 - Wichita (KS)
42 - Seattle (WA)
43 - Portland (ME)
44 - Detroit (MI)
45 - South Bend (IN)
46 - Green Bay (WI)
47 - Peoria (IL)
48 - Syracuse (NY)
49 - Harrisburg (PA)
61 - Milwaukee (WI)
62 - Shreveport (LA)
64 - Scranton (PA)
69 - Amarillo (TX)
70 - San Antonio (TX)
71 - Bloomfield (NJ)
72 - Fort Worth (TX)
73 - Long Island City (NY)
78 - Oakland (GM Overseas Export)
79 - Hawaii
80 - GM Canada
81 - Vancouver, British Columbia
82 - Calgary, Alberta
83 - Regina, Saskatchewan
84 - Winnipeg, Manitoba
85 - London, Ontario
86 - Montreal, Quebec
87 - Moncton, New Brunswick
88 - Ste. Foy, Quebec
95 - Toronto, Ontario
96 - Ottawa, Ontario

Hope that this helps!

Regards,
Old 08-14-2003, 11:16 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: BUILD SHEETS? (Rowdy Rat)

Rowdy, I found mine on top of the gas tank when I was changing the mufflers, but the center portion that was glued tore up. How do you get to the rear storage one? Thanks...LT
Old 08-14-2003, 09:28 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Re: BUILD SHEETS? (mantaxp882)

I recently sent my frame to Caledonia Classics to be checked out. When the frame got to them, I got an excited call from Gary at Caledonia giving me details about the car he could know. He then told me that a copy of the build sheet was sticking out of the frame hole where the power steering cylinder attaches. The transporting must have dislodged the sheet inside the frame. He said this was the first time this had happened to him.

By the way, they do a great job with frame repair and I recommend them highly.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:24 PM
abnormal_vetter
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: BUILD SHEETS? (mantaxp882)

thanks for your help guys. I have recently purchased a 1969 L71 and am not sure as to whether it has a tank sheet or not. hence the question. the information is much appreciated. i can't wait for my car to land here in Australia and i am very much so looking forward to the Frame off resto that we will perform. it will be a beautiful car! it will be a long process but an informal and enjoyable one!

Thanks again

Travis
Old 08-15-2003, 08:53 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: BUILD SHEETS?

How do you get to the rear storage one?
Travis,

As I mentioned in the last post, more often than not, these build order copies were disposed of when they were no longer needed. The copy attached to the fuel tank was an exception... Mainly because of the fact that it was glued to the tank.

The copy that occasionally turns up in the rear storage area is generally found on the floor, directly behind the storage compartment doors, underneath the carpet and insulation. For whatever reason, I've only seen build orders found in this location on 1969 Corvettes (which is a good thing in your case). Perhaps you'll be fortunate to find an additional copy of the build order for your car here as well.

Good luck!

Regards,

Get notified of new replies

To BUILD SHEETS?

Quick Reply: BUILD SHEETS?