C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you clean your tank?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 10:22 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you clean your tank?

i suspect i have either water or some debris inside my tank thats creating all the problems i encountered lately.stuttering,hesitating complete shutdown...
what is the best way to flush the tank?rinse with water and let it dry or is there a better way?
thanks for the help
Old 08-13-2003, 11:15 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: how do you clean your tank? (java0881)

Are you referring to the gas tank? If so i am also wanting to know the answer to this, maybe theres something in my tank that keeps clogging my idle circuit.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:17 AM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the members at the yachey club i work at just had his cleaned. If i rember right they filled it with some sort of disolver and pumped it out after stirring it up. Im thinking of something similar to carb and choke cleaner, just alot more. However we have the luxury of being able to remove the tank, although its not the easiest thing to do. If i rember right they dont have a drain valuve so you cant just drain the crap out the bottom. What i would suggest is if you live on a coast to call a marine tank cleaner and get them to do your car, carefully. It would be a super simple job for them, and if i rember right it was about 150 dollars to have this guys tank done. If not pull it out And see what you can do. Keep in mind ive never done this but i figure pull it fill it 1/8th of the way and flip her upside down into some container, then a nother flush, and re install. But id call a marine place, maybe they can give you some tips. And there are a number of places that only do tank cleanings.

MAtt
Old 08-14-2003, 08:26 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's what I did when I got a load of crud from one of the gas stations down my way. I removed the gas cap, gas door, rubber seal and filler neck. This can all be done from the top and gives you a lot of room to look in the tank. At this time you can probably see the crud and rust floating around the bottom of the tank. I then made a vacuum device. I took a large plastic bottle (Clorox or clothes detergent) and drilled two holes in the top of the cap the same size as some tubing that I had (about 1/4 inch). Drill the holes a little undersize so that the tubing fits tight and seals. I cut one tube so that it went to almost the bottom of the tank and the other tube so that it went in about 2 inches. Leave about an inch of each tube sticking out of the top. I then got two fuel hoses. One hose I installed on the short tube and hooked up to a MityVac hand pump. The other hose was connected to the tube that goes to the bottom of the container. On this hose I installed a piece of hard line about 18 inches long. This setup is just the large equivalent of a brake bleeder setup. You can then take the hard line and run it in the tank and by pumping the mityvac vacuum the dirt and crud out of the bottom of the tank. I ended taking out about a gallon of thick crud and dirt which had clogged my system. Once your done reinstall all the gas tank pieces. Use a new gasket under the filler neck for insurance and you should be done. If you see that the strainer sock on the end of the tank pickup is clogged now would be a good time to replace it. Good luck with the project.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:35 AM
Chevyguy1973
Intermediate

Default Re: how do you clean your tank? (vettfixr)

I cheated and just ordered a new tank. I was too worried about rust in the top of the tank (someone left it sitting for about 7 years with 1/2 a tank of fuel in it). If I'm going to mess with it, I want it fixed for good so...

Get notified of new replies

To how do you clean your tank?

Quick Reply: how do you clean your tank?