C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paging dath, frame issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 05:40 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default paging dath, frame issues

Rather than continue the thread hijack, I thought I'd start a new post.

Yes, I screwed up, a welded in crossmember is for the 4 speed. Nice catch. If the rear bumper mounts look a little strange, then it may be that someone retrofitted a pre-74 frame into your car and fabbed up the stuff needed to mount the rear bumper absorbers and such. Same for the front if it shows a bit of modification.

At this point, your best bet may be to find the VIN stamp on the frame and see if it matches the car. No big deal if it doesn't, a frame swap isn't such a terrible thing. It just means that dropping your tranny is a bit more difficult. You could always cut out the manual crossmember and buy a bolt-in to use. Have someone weld in the mounts for it and you'd be all set.

If you decide to chase down the frame VIN, let me know what you find.

Shannon
Old 08-14-2003, 09:43 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: paging dath, frame issues (sb69coupe)

Hah - I was gonna reply in that other thread but ...

When the rear bumper is replace with fiberglass, the rear support structures
(aluminum) need to be removed and/or trimmed to fit the new bumper on.
My 75 looked like someone got a new sawzall for Christmas, along with their
fiberglass bumper. All that is hidden, ultimately. So, some hacked up rear
bumper supports should not concern you too much.

BTW - I though the VIN was stamped on the top of the kickup - sort of above
the rear wheel.
I'll check mine soon - but the frame is currently upside-down.

:seeya
Old 08-14-2003, 11:40 AM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: paging dath, frame issues (sb69coupe)

Well at least we're on the same page now;) I didn't look at it any last night as I was too busy firing up my new engine and breaking in the cam:D I really do want to track this down at least so I know more about the history of my car. I'll try to take a look tonight, but I have another busy night slated for me (cleaning the house, putting siding on my new shed, and showing off my new engine)...

I'll check for the VIN on the frame. You say it's on the top of the frame near the drivers side door? I cannot remember, is that area accessible without major surgery? If so, I could stick a wire brush and a mirror up there. I can also check the transmission to see if it matches. I was told when I bought the car that it was numbers matching, but I didn't really care since I had my own vision and didn't find a 74 automatic L48 at all "rare"... I've learned so much since then and wish I'd been a bit more careful, not because I want a numbers car, but I could have spent a lot less given that I ended up swapping engines and have had to replace lots of bushings, steering parts, all the brake parts had to go, etc, etc... I find the process to be fun though, so it's worth it.

Thanks for the help on this. I'll let you know what I figure out.

Get notified of new replies

To paging dath, frame issues

Quick Reply: paging dath, frame issues