C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Home Computer is Down

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 04:10 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Default My Home Computer is Down

Just a quick note for all you Forum guys -
I get a lot of tech request e-mails, and I try to respond to all request within 1-2 days. However, my computer is infected with the new worm virus right now, so I can receive e-mails, but cannot send any out. If you have sent me an e-mail in the last 2 days, I cannot respond to you until I get the worm erradicated - please be patient or post up questions for me here on the Forum for now. I can use my employer's computer during my lunch hour to respond to Forum tech requests. However, I cannot use my employer's computer to solicit or discuss any business (carb rebuild costs, parts prices, etc.).
Thanks!
Old 08-13-2003, 05:12 PM
1LE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: My Home Computer is Down (lars)

Know what your saying, Im on a University campus with around 3000 computers, Ive spent all day putting the patch on about 100 machines.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:58 PM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you give me info on how to fix this worm thing? I think my computer at home has it. I am currently in a "Stan" and need to help my wife fix the computer. It is really our only form of communication. Thanks in advance for your help. :flag
Old 08-13-2003, 11:08 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: My Home Computer is Down (greatgonzoglenn)

Does your home computer tell you that it is shutting down in 1 minute and then counts down and shuts down? thats what mine did and it was the blaster worm, i went to the microsoft download website and got the patch for it. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en
Old 08-13-2003, 11:10 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

There is a program called fixblast.exe distributed by Symantec (I'm sure there are other companies distributing there own brand of remover) this just removes the bug, but doesn't do anything to preventing it from coming back. After you run fixblast, then you have to apply the patch from Microsoft to seal the hole, which one depends on what operating system you are running. There is a specific one for XP one for Win2000 and Windows NT. Win98, ME and 95 aren't affected by the bug. The Fixblast program can be found at
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...r/FixBlast.exe
How to use the program is at http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...oval.tool.html
After the fixblast go to Microsoft's website at http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp and pick which operating system you have and download and install the patch.
Good luck to your wife! And stay safe over there in "?Stan"
Old 08-13-2003, 11:18 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: My Home Computer is Down (Smokehouse69)

Ya just do what he said :iagree: However i did the microsoft thing first and the fixblast(stinger) afterwards. Anyhow good luck.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:08 AM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Who said we were only gearheads, you guys/gals are great. Thank YOU, thank you. :flag
Old 08-14-2003, 01:55 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

this leads right into what i came here for tonight. i keep hearing about this worm thing but don't really know what it is. it sounds like every version of windows made is affected but i understand a few are not. i'm running windows ME, i thought that was the same as 2000. is it different? is it affected? how do you get this worm thing anyway? so far, i've seen no problems with my computer other than the lousy dial-up connection i've been living with for 3 years now anyway.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:50 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: My Home Computer is Down (clutchdust)

this leads right into what i came here for tonight. i keep hearing about this worm thing but don't really know what it is. it sounds like every version of windows made is affected but i understand a few are not. i'm running windows ME, i thought that was the same as 2000. is it different? is it affected? how do you get this worm thing anyway? so far, i've seen no problems with my computer other than the lousy dial-up connection i've been living with for 3 years now anyway.
WinME is based on the Win9X platform (95, 98, 98SE, ME).

Win 2000/XP are on the same platform, and are the only OSes affected.

-Steve
Old 08-14-2003, 05:16 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: My Home Computer is Down (1LE)

I spent the last few days getting about 500 machines upgraded to service pack 3 and putting the patch on them..What a hassle.

From what I understand the WORM virus is not a terrible difficult thing to erradicate if your computer become infected. Just upgrade to SP3 or later if you are Windows 2000 and SP6a if you are NT4 (if you're XP I think there is no SP upgrade required) then run the patch available from Microsft's web site.

I would highly recommend anyone running thos operating systems with connection to the Internet to safeguard their computers until they can become fully "patched" as the potential virus allows an attacker to pretty much get into your computer and do anything they want...such as ...oh, I don't know maybe run an executable that access you banking account information! :eek:

Sorry, Dan the computer weenie jumped in there for a minute...he's gone now. :conehead
Old 08-14-2003, 05:56 AM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's not my Fault! I didnt do it!
Lars,
Again, thanks for the hospitality and computer access you, your family and friends provided while we stayed with you. Did we have fun? YEP!
Would we come back? OF Course! Would you have us back?..............
Lars? Lars? are you there?

Seriously, Everyone we met on our trip whether from the Forum, or not, treated us so well.
If anyone is coming to the land of OZ please look us up so we can return the hospitality.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
or
What goes around, comes around.
or
Long hair, Short hair, what's the difference once the heads blowed off!
oops!
I've been working with comedians too long(really!):jester
Keep in touch Lars, you should have Aussiejohn's and my email.
We would love to hear the progress on the '64 and knock back a few coldies.
Regards,
Cap'n James (retired)
:cheers:
Old 08-14-2003, 06:01 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: My Home Computer is Down (RHD '68 L89)

The worm only works on NT based machines and it pretty easy to remove even without a scanner.

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and go to the process tab, look for msblast.exe and shut down that process. Go to windows/system32 (or winnt/system32) and delete msblaster.exe
then go to regeditor (start -> run >type regedit) and go to hkey_local_machine > software > microsoft > windows > current version > run and delete the entry called auto windows update or something like that. Restart the system, press ctrl-alt-del again to see if the msblast is in the process tab. Blocking off port 135 will prohibit the worm from scanning your system for the msblaster.exe
Old 08-14-2003, 08:45 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Gonzo!
Your only form of communication with your wife is through your computer????????

Get a life!!!!!!

:lol: :jester :cheers:

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 08-14-2003, 11:42 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: My Home Computer is Down (aussiejohn)

[QUOTE]Gonzo!
Your only form of communication with your wife is through your computer????????

Get a life!!!!!!

:lol: :jester :cheers:

John, I don't think he's in the same country she is.

yesnod:
Old 08-14-2003, 02:34 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: My Home Computer is Down (72GACRZR)

I work for a helpdesk at IBM. we are slammed with this. I am on a code red (mt dew) binge all week in respect to the new virus.

Way to slam billy boy !

Get notified of new replies

To My Home Computer is Down

Quick Reply: My Home Computer is Down