C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I get a fuel filter with a return line?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 03:20 PM
hudman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel filter question-rubber lines vs. steel lines???

I have a BB with the external filter on the fuel line. I am looking to buy a new filter with the return line. Zips is out of stock, and the Dr. Rebuild unit is the Delco model that screws into the steel fuel lines. My steel fuel lines are long gone and I now have rubber lines that run from the frame up to the motor/carb. I am just looking for one of the silver filters with a return line that have the fittings that can be hooked up to rubber hose with a standard clamp. The local autoparts stores have them and they are a few bucks.

I do not want to have to buy new steel fuel lines, fittings etc. just to get a good new fuel filter. The fuel filter at Dr. Rebuild is $35 plus all the other stuff.

What gives here? Is it OK to use one of these cheap filters.

[Modified by hudman, 3:27 PM 8/13/2003]

[Modified by hudman, 3:33 PM 8/13/2003]
Old 08-13-2003, 03:26 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Where can I get a fuel filter with a return line? (hudman)

just an opinion, but I'd ditch the rubber lines an go back to steel. You dont want your new forum name to be " Fireball".
Old 08-13-2003, 05:44 PM
hudman
Racer

Default Re: Where can I get a fuel filter with a return line? (Stewart's74)

Clarification-car has steel lines from tank to front. Just the last 3-4 are rubber hose.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:26 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Fuel filter question-rubber lines vs. steel lines??? (hudman)

Almost all of the corvette houses offer the new version... However, it will not fit in the bracket. You need the new bracket too. I got mine on Ebay for about $35. Check your E-mail
Old 08-13-2003, 07:24 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Hudman, my car had been "rubber lined" when I got it and I put the steel lines back in. The guy I bought it from gave me an extra filter with the rubber line fittings. It's a return-line filter and looks pretty much like the stock filter except for the fittings. It's yours if you want it.

JB
Old 08-13-2003, 07:48 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres mopar style filter I got at Pepboys for $4. thats how I delt with my return line issues when I switched to an aftermarket pump that had no provisions for return line.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:55 PM
hudman
Racer

Default Re: Fuel filter question-rubber lines vs. steel lines??? (JB)

Thanks JB. I may take you up on it.

However, all of this talk about the steel lines has gotten me thinking that maybe I just should drop the coin on the steel lines and get it right.

Did you change it back to the steel lines to just look as original as possible or should I be concerned about safety?

My steel lines currently end along the frame rail near the front of the motor under the fuel pump. From there, rubber hoses are clamped right in and run to the fuel pump, up to the filter and then to the carb. Of course the return from the filter back to the steel return line is a rubber hose as well.

When you converted yours back to steel lines, did you buy a kit or something? In the catalog I only saw the steel lines themselves, but not all the nuts etc. How did you get all the fittings to make the connections between the lines, the fuel pump, etc? Did you need one of those tools to put the lip on the end of the lines?

Wow-sounds like a big job for something that I really did not even notice until I decided to change the fuel filter. I bet it looks sweet though once it is right.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:02 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Well, there are going to be certain points in your fuel line that have to be rubber, unless you like cracking your steel line from motor rock and chassis flex. I use braided steel lines from Earl's from the end of the supply line on up to the motor. There are a lot of different ways to do fuel lines. Do what you think is safest.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:17 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

David, the 3 piece steel fuel line kits that go between the fuel pump, filter, and carb have all the flared fittings and nuts already installed. They are pre-bent and ready to bolt on to the GF-432 filter. All you need is a short length of 1/4" rubber fuel hose to connect on the vapor return line between the filter and the steel line, then back from the steel line to the return frame line.

I just put a new steel line set on the '69. Stop by to take a look and you'll see what is involved. It's real easy to replace them, and you'll be much safer in the long run.

Shannon
Old 08-13-2003, 08:51 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Fuel filter question-rubber lines vs. steel lines??? (sb69coupe)

What Shannon said. It's really very easy to install, and it is a lot safer--if a rubber line splits, you don't want it to be on top of the engine where gas could pour down onto a hot manifold.

JB
Old 08-13-2003, 09:08 PM
hudman
Racer

Shannon-

Looking at the pics in the Dr. Rebuild catalog, I see where you are talking about using the rubber hose to connect up the return line.

However, both ends of the remaining two pieces have threads and a nut. Obviously, 1 end of each piece (the middle two ends) screws into the GF-432 filter with no adapter needed. I am assuming that the carb end will screw right into the carb. Right now I have a fitting for a rubber hose on the carb. Does that screw out? Do you need some kind of adaptor to make that connection to the carb?

Same for the other end. Does it just screw right into the fuel pump? Do you need some kind of adapter to make the steel line/fuel pump connection?

How does the frame line connect to the fuel pump? With a rubber hose or is there a correct steel line for that connection as well? Right now, mine just has a rubber hose and clamp.

Sorry for my ignorance, but right now I just have rubber hoses everywhere.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Doc Rebuild
Racer

Sir,

You would be better off maintaining the steel fuel line configuration as original as was mentioned by others above. It is a safer route than rubber and the steel lines are available everywhere at a moderate investment in money, but a large investment in security and peace of mind. As you may know only 68-69 1x4 carb models used an external fuel filter. Today’s slightly larger GF432 filter will fit in the newer designed filter brackets also so the appearance of the assembled filter and bracket are very close to the original.

I do not know of a similar Delco filter with a return line in which all of the hoses would be mounted with a hose clamp. There may be some aftermarket brand however.

If you have tripower however, there is no external filter from the factory. However, I will let you in on a secret little known option on some tripower 67-69 models with side exhaust. We call it RPO#1 - the Jerry Clark 3x2 External Filter option.

RPO#1 mounts an external fuel filter between the fuel tank sender and the rear frame fuel line. This 3/8” rubber hose is cut and the filter is inserted. This is not recommended for models without side exhaust as it is difficult to service and it is hot right above a stock muffler.

Geoffrey Coenen
NCRS #2473
NCM Lifetime #105
Precision Valley Corvette Museum Charter Member #20 (I think)
Retired #1 56, 63, 67, 68, 68, 69, 75, 99 and I want more! :D
Wanted: 1969 L-89 conv (no project)
Old 08-13-2003, 09:43 PM
hudman
Racer

Default Re: Fuel filter question-rubber lines vs. steel lines??? (Doc Rebuild)

Doc Rebuild-Nice to hear from you. As a customer, I like your stuff. Only problem is that I have not done my homework on this one and this will be my 3rd order to make some fuel system repairs. The S/H is killing me!

Anyway, been out in the driveway with a flashlight and I now realize you are going to have rubber lines between the frame lines and the fuel pump. The engine does move-duhhh!

I also have the fuel pump end figured out. I did not realize that there was a steel line screwed into the side of my fuel pump as an adapter and then the rubber hose attached to that.

I still have the question about how to attach the steel line to the carb. Does the rubber hose fitting screw out and then you just screw in the new fuel line?

Please advise.

Doc Rebuild-I will be calling tomorrow for those steel lines!

[Modified by hudman, 10:01 PM 8/13/2003]
Old 08-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Doc Rebuild
Racer

Sir,

On most Corvettes C1-C3, the carburetor has an inlet fitting. That is an internally and externally threaded steel or brass fitting. The externally threaded end screws into the carburetor proper and then the steel fuel line’s brass connector screws into the internally threaded end.

I am not sure of your specific model, but must alert you that if the carburetor or intake or some other item has been altered, a stock original fuel line or what ever – may not “bolt right in”.

The 70-76 C3 use a fitting in the fuel pump, but I don’t recall these on original 68-69. You should be able to unscrew the fitting in your fuel pump and carburetor.

For safety sake, disconnect the battery. Have immediate access to a LARGE dry chemical fire extinguisher and a helper for your personal safety.

Geoffrey Coenen
NCRS #2473
NCM Lifetime #105
Precision Valley Corvette Museum Charter Member #20 (I think)
Retired #1 56, 63, 67, 68, 68, 69, 75, 99 and I want more! :D
Wanted: 1969 L-89 conv (no project)

PS Thanks for your support. I appreciate your confidence and endorsement. Please do not consider this information a sale pitch. I actually have little to do with sales anymore.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:12 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

David, you've got a quadrajet on there, right? As long as that's the case, the fuel line will screw right in to the inlet on the carb. I got my filter and lines from the Doc and they fit great. You'll be glad to see the results, and it'll be much safer to boot.

Shannon
Old 08-13-2003, 10:34 PM
hudman
Racer

I am convinced. I will order them tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Get notified of new replies

To Where can I get a fuel filter with a return line?

Quick Reply: Where can I get a fuel filter with a return line?